penetrating surfaces between triangular meshes

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Josh Baxter

penetrating surfaces between triangular meshes

Post by Josh Baxter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:36 am

I have a simulation that successfully implements an elastic foundation contact object. Now I am interested in identifying the faces of both triangular meshes (made from STL files) that are penetrating their neighboring body. It looks like this calculation is performed during the contact simulation in the form of getSurface1Faces(). I'm having trouble implementing this in MATLAB and any pointers would be really appreciated. Can it be done thru MATLAB calls at all? Since the contacting bodies are already defined, is there a way to simply query these penetrating faces directly in the analyzetool when running the force reporter?
<https://simtk.org/api_docs/simbody/api_ ... 29ad06dd46>

Thanks! josh

Brecca Gaffney

Re: penetrating surfaces between triangular meshes

Post by Brecca Gaffney » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi Josh,

Did you ever resolve how to access the individual faces within a contact model using the API? I'm at a similar stage you were a couple years ago. I have successfully built an EF model, but now need to be able to query the overlapping mesh faces to calculate the contact pressure and am a bit hung up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brecca