OpenSim on Linux

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau

OpenSim on Linux

Post by Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi,

I aplogise if I am not using the right technical terms in this post but my question is in regards with using OpenSim via Linux and Matlab. My University has a new High Performance Computer (HPC) that operates in Linux. I was hoping to use it to accelerate my analyses.

OpenSim 3.3 and Matlab have already been installed on the HPC. I have already written Matlab scripts for my computer to analyse the data. Now I would like to submit those analyses to the HPC, using the Matlab scripts I have already written. It is not working currently and I was wondering if I was missing a step.

When using Matlab, I had to run the Matlab script to set up the environment to access OpenSim. I was wondering if I needed to do something similar in this case for Linux since I am trying to run the analyses on Linux, but through Matlab? Or if there was some other steps that needed to be taken?

Thank you for your help,

Erica

Christopher Dembia

Re: OpenSim on Linux

Post by Christopher Dembia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Hey Erica:

Unfortunately, we do not support using the MATLAB interface on Linux with OpenSim 3.3. This will be supported in 4.0.

You might be able to use the Python interface on Linux with OpenSim 3.3. You have to build the code from source, though.

Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau

Post by Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the quick response. The beta 4.0 OpenSim was also installed on the HPC. Would that possibly work?

Christopher Dembia

Post by Christopher Dembia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:40 pm

If the beta was built with support for the MATLAB interface, then yes. Is there a org-opensim-modeling.jar file somewhere in the OpenSim installation on the HPC?

Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau

Post by Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 pm

The org-opensim-modeling.jar file is there on the HPC.

Should I expect any major difference between OpenSim 3.3 and the beta 4.0 or code written for 3.3 would work equivalently on the new 4.0 beta?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 pm

There is a (partial) list of upgrade notes on GitHub here: https://github.com/opensim-org/opensim- ... ANGELOG.md.