Problems running Matlab and question of best programming interface

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Cai Birch

Problems running Matlab and question of best programming interface

Post by Cai Birch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

Hi,

I've just started off using Opensim and decided to get to grips with the software by going through all the introductory tutorials. It seemed be going quite smoothly until penultimate tutorial; Dynamic Walking Challenge. I followed the manual setup for the Matlab and completed the ExpressionBasedPointToPointForce script but when I click 'Scripts>Run...' and select the ExpressionBasedPointToPointForce.m file, then I just get errors and it doesn't seem to run (despite following the instructions exactly). I tried the same process with all the example Matlab scripts in the OpenSim directory but received similar errors with all of them.

Common error that I am encountering:
SyntaxError: mismatched character '\n' expecting '''

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue here? Would programming in C++ be more useful language than using Matlab?

Many thanks,

Thomas Uchida

Re: Problems running Matlab and question of best programming interface

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

when I click 'Scripts>Run...' and select the ExpressionBasedPointToPointForce.m file, then I just get errors and it doesn't seem to run (despite following the instructions exactly).
You cannot run a Matlab script (.m) in the OpenSim GUI. Please see the "Scripting in the GUI" page in the Confluence documentation (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... in+the+GUI).