Previewing *.trc file in OpenSim 3.0

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Stephen Riutta

Previewing *.trc file in OpenSim 3.0

Post by Stephen Riutta » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 am

Hello,

When I try to preview a *.trc file in OpenSim 3.0 using the "Preview Motion Data" tool, I get the following error message:

Couldn't load data and/or model for display.
Possible reasons: data file has incorrect format or resource file _openSimlab.osim missing.

When I preview the same file with OpenSim 2.4.0, there are no problems. OpenSim 3.0 is able to read the *.trc file for the inverse kinematics tool.

Is there a way to preview the *.trc file in OpenSim 3.0?

Thanks,

Stephen

Ayman Habib

Re: Previewing *.trc file in OpenSim 3.0

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am

Hi Stephen,

The likely reason for this is that the environment variable OPENSIM_HOME is not set. Previous versions didn't use this environment variable to locate resources. If not done by the installer (it should unless there is permissions issue and environment can be set for user) you can set it yourself (to point to the top level install directory of OpenSim) and then the problem will be fixed. I can suggest other solutions/workarounds so please let me know if that works for you or if you need help setting/checking the environment variable.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Stephen Riutta

Post by Stephen Riutta » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Ayman,

Thanks for your help. I checked the environment variable OPENSIM_HOME, and it was set to the top level installation directory. However, it appeared to be set this way only for the administrator account. I ran OpenSim as the administrator, and was able to preview the *.trc file.

I did check that the PATH variable was set for all users during the initial installation.

Running the program as an administrator provides me with one potential solution. If there were any ways to run the program and preview the *.trc files with my user account, that would be great too.

Thanks!

Stephen

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Stephen,

Some other solutions come to mind, depending on what you can do on the machine or if you're using your own machine vs. a public/library/common machine that you can't administer.
1. Set OPENSIM_HOME manually in your own environment same setting as administrator account.
2. Start OpenSim by opening a command prompt, setting env. var, then launch OpenSim. It would look like this:

Code: Select all

> set OPENSIM_HOME="C:\OpenSim3.0\"
> opensim
3. save the commands in 2. in a batch file and use that to launch opensim, you can put a shortcut to the batch file on the desktop.

Hope this helps and best of luck,
-Ayman

Stephen Riutta

Post by Stephen Riutta » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Ayman,

Thanks for your help! It appears as though the permissions of my account didn't initially allow me to set the environment variable, but I had those modified and I'm now able preview the *.trc file.

Thanks again,

Stephen

Vishal R

Post by Vishal R » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:56 am

aymanh wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am
Hi Stephen,

The likely reason for this is that the environment variable OPENSIM_HOME is not set. Previous versions didn't use this environment variable to locate resources. If not done by the installer (it should unless there is permissions issue and environment can be set for user) you can set it yourself (to point to the top level install directory of OpenSim) and then the problem will be fixed. I can suggest other solutions/workarounds so please let me know if that works for you or if you need help setting/checking the environment variable.

Best regards,
-Ayman
Just wanted to say thank you! (as there was no like button in the forum :D )

Shahrzad Zandi

Post by Shahrzad Zandi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:42 am

Dear Ayman,

I have the same issue in opensim 3.3 in my laptop.

First, I had problem viewing the skeleton in my model. I could fix it by correcting the geometry path in the preferences. But now, I can not preview exp data.
The error is the same as above: Couldn't load data and/or model for display.
Possible reasons: data file has incorrect format or resource file _openSimlab.osim missing.
I am not a programmer and I don't know where should I set the home directory.

Also, this is a university laptop and I can not login as admin for many times (one time is not a problem).
How can I fix it?
Thanks,
Shahrzad