Problems performing IAA with Gait2354 model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Pia Stefanek

Problems performing IAA with Gait2354 model

Post by Pia Stefanek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 am

Hi,

I am trying to make an IAA with the model 'Gait2354_Simbody'. I have already made an IAA with the model 'Gait10dof18musc'. I found out that one has to Change the external loads file from Point force to Body force (applied to Calcaneus) to get valid results in the induced constraints file. (viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=91&t=9414&p=0&start=0&view=) But when I perform IAA with the model 'Gait2354_Simbody' I don't get correct results.

Without changing the external loads file from Point force to Body force, I get correct results for constraint reaction Ground Forces (total_ground_force_ground_Fx,total_ground_force_ground_Fy,total_ground_force_ground_Fz) which are similar to the Ground reaction forces of the external load file (ground_force_vx,ground_force_vy,ground_force_vz). But in this case the Moments don't match as described with model 'Gait10dof18musc'.

When I Change the external loads file from Point force to Body force I get incorrect results for Forces and Moments. (See Picture Induced Constraint reactions)

Has anybody an idea why this problem arises?

Thank you in advance

Regards
Pia
Attachments
Reactions forces from external loads.JPG
Reactions forces from external loads.JPG (51.56 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Induced Constraint Reactions.JPG
Induced Constraint Reactions.JPG (52.37 KiB) Viewed 637 times

Tags:

jimmy d

Re: Problems performing IAA with Gait2354 model

Post by jimmy d » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 am

I found out that one has to Change the external loads file from Point force to Body force (applied to Calcaneus) to get valid results in the induced constraints file. (viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=91&t=9414&p=0&start=0&view=)
No where in the link you provided was there a statement that you have had to change the point force to a body force :?

OpenSim automatically converts point forces to body forces under the hood so you don't have to.

Pia Stefanek

Post by Pia Stefanek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I thought About this Posting: viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=1398&t=8339&p=0&start=0&view=
But Maybe I did not understand it correctly.

When I don't Change the external load file from Point force to Body force, I get valid results for the constraint reaction Forces which match with the Ground reaction force of the external load file. But the constraint reaction Moments do not match with the Ground reaction Moments of the external load file.

Do you know what could be my mistake?
Attachments
Non matching torques.JPG
Non matching torques.JPG (45.59 KiB) Viewed 603 times
matching forces.JPG
matching forces.JPG (51.09 KiB) Viewed 603 times

Pia Stefanek

Post by Pia Stefanek » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 am

This is the Setuo File I used. Maybe it contains a mistake?
Attachments
IAA_Setup_neu2.xml
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Ajay Seth

Post by Ajay Seth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm

The reaction reported is the total reaction force and moment on the calcaneous body as applied to its body frame. You can use it to compute the center of pressure and free-moment.

Simon Jeng

Post by Simon Jeng » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 am

aseth wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm
The reaction reported is the total reaction force and moment on the calcaneous body as applied to its body frame. You can use it to compute the center of pressure and free-moment.
How to compute the center of pressure and free-moment? I'm working on calculating the ground reaction force and moment during squat lifting according to a prescribed motion. I built a weld constraint between the foot and ground in OpenSim4.0. I found that the resulting reaction force is calculated about one fixed point(i.e. the location of the weld I had specified in the .osim file). However, in reality, the center of pressure is changing during squat lifting so my result is incorrect. How to solve this problem?