Non-prescribed motions in CMC

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Simon Harrison

Non-prescribed motions in CMC

Post by Simon Harrison » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi,

I have a number of reasons to want to leave the determination of a generalised coordinate up to the load balance between attached muscle-tendon or ligament units. This is for the case of coordinates that are not easily measured non-invasively, but able to be determined by the solution of an equilibrium problem.

One simple example, though not my current interest, would be to define the position of the patella relative to the femur by one angle and then allow this angle to be determined by the load balance between the patella tendon and the quadriceps muscles.

If I do not include the coordinate in the motion file or the cmc tasks file, then will this coordinate be treated as a design variable, free to be determined by the forward dynamics section of CMC?

I have made one attempt, without success. I am not sure if it is due to my implementation, or if I am trying something that is not viable.

Thanks,
Simon

Simon Harrison

RE: Non-prescribed motions in CMC

Post by Simon Harrison » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Maybe a simpler way of asking this question is to ask if a generalised coordinate can be used as a control? If so, does it need to be added to the control constraints file?