Joint moment contribution to acceleration of center of mass

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Hoon Kim

Joint moment contribution to acceleration of center of mass

Post by Hoon Kim » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 am

Dear all,

I have several experiences to use IAA to calculate contributions of individual muscles to the acceleration of COM.
While I am using IAA, I was wondering if there is a way to calculate the contribution of each JOINT MOMENT to the acceleration of COM.
I would be so happy to hear any comments or tips about how to do that in OpenSim (e.g., how to create the IAA set file.xml or model actuator to calculate the contribution of each JOINT MOMENT to the acceleration of COM).
Thank you so much for any comments.

Sincerely,

Hoon

Tags:

Carmichael Ong

Re: Joint moment contribution to acceleration of center of mass

Post by Carmichael Ong » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:31 am

I'm not sure if I've seen someone try this, but maybe here's something you could try. Since IAA calculates based on all actuators, if you could create another model with CoordinateActuator's or TorqueActuator's in place of muscles, and then apply the moments to these actuators (possibly through a PrescribedController(?)), this might be one way to go.

Hoon Kim

Post by Hoon Kim » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:29 am

Thank you for the tips.

Could you help me apply the joint moment calculated by inverse dynamics to IAA?

I removed all muscle forces and added CoordinateActuator in the model. Then, I tried to add jointmoment.sto (ID results) to the control file in the IAA set file.
But, I think that doesn't work because the control file should be not moment but control (e.g., 0-1).

Could you give me a little bit of more detailed information about how I can apply the joint moment to the IAA?
Thank you so much for any helps.

Sincerely,

Hoon

Carmichael Ong

Post by Carmichael Ong » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:06 pm

You could set the maximum limit of the coordinate actuator to the maximum joint torque, then divide all the values so that they are scaled 0-1. If you have both extension and flexion, you may have to make a couple coordinate actuators per degree of freedom, taking into account any negative signs.