Change parameters such as Height, Age and Weight

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Akshay Desai

Change parameters such as Height, Age and Weight

Post by Akshay Desai » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:20 am

Hello everyone,
Hope everyone is doing well. I have an OpenSim query. I am working on a project for Ergonomics and I would like to change the following parameters.
1. Height of my OpenSim model
2. Change in Age.
3. Change in Weight
4. Change in Speed.

Kindly reply as soon as possible, my project is getting delayed day by day, I am trying on this continously.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 9.39.07 PM copy.jpg
Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 9.39.07 PM copy.jpg (440.94 KiB) Viewed 675 times

Ayman Habib

Re: Change parameters such as Height, Age and Weight

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi Akshay,

While I agree that it would be a good idea to have generic models for these various demographics/Ages/genders, unfortunately we don't have such models. Typically our users collect motion capture data and scale the generic model to match the data. This would account for height, and possibly for mass but not the other factors.
There are studies that customize models for obesity or other factors but we don't have such models in house.

Best of luck.
-Ayman

Akshay Desai

Post by Akshay Desai » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Can you explain me the procedure for change in Height and Mass please?

Karthick Ganesan

Post by Karthick Ganesan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 am

Please see here for scaling the model.
https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... th+Scaling

Akshay Desai

Post by Akshay Desai » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:16 am

karthick_ganesan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 am
Please see here for scaling the model.
https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... th+Scaling
Thank you for your reply @Karthick Sir. But I have read this manual earlier also, and I am still not clear with the usage of scale factor. Suppose if I want to make a subject for 172 height, what will I use the scale factor here as?

Daniella Bianchi

Post by Daniella Bianchi » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:02 pm

I too am very confused about how to calculate the scaling factor. If it is just an "overall scale factor s can then be used to scale any segments, and along any combination of the X, Y, and Z axe" how does the values for each body segment change? Where do you even find the model (say gait2354) distances to compute s = e/m? I am confused.

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:03 am

Ideally, you would scale a full-body model using data from markers placed all over the body. Each body segment can then be scaled based on the markers affixed to that segment. If you have only the height of the model ("Suppose if I want to make a subject for 172 height"), you could (1) put a marker on the top of the model's head, (2) calculate the height of the generic model (e.g., in the ScriptingShell Window using the script below), (3) calculate the scale factor to match the subject's height (i.e., scale_factor = 172cm / current_height), and (4) enter this scale factor to "manually scale" all body segments by the same amount in all dimensions. You should expect large errors in the other dimensions of your model.

Code: Select all

model = getCurrentModel()
state = model.getWorkingState()
mHead = model.getMarkerSet().get('marker_name')
mHead.getLocationInGround(state)

Jobin Geevarghese ThampI

Post by Jobin Geevarghese ThampI » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:18 pm

ok, height and weight dimensions will change once we scale the model, but what about other factors like age, can we change the age of the model in XML file, is it possible?...because I tried to change the age of the model in XML file, but I don't know how effective it will be

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:10 pm

There is no global "age" parameter you can use to automatically modify parameters throughout the model. However, once you decide which parameters you wish to modify and the calculations you want to use to modify them, you can write a script to modify all components in the model of that type.

Jobin Geevarghese ThampI

Post by Jobin Geevarghese ThampI » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:45 am

So, i was calculating the height of the model after placing a marker on the top of the head and I named the marker as 'head", also I entered the script which you posted here, and how can I get the value, I am new to OpenSim
Attachments
head.png
head.png (178.07 KiB) Viewed 428 times