Can RRA, CMC be done with lower body model?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Ruoli Wang

Can RRA, CMC be done with lower body model?

Post by Ruoli Wang » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 am

Hi,

I have a question if RRA, CMC and perturbation analysis can be done only with lower body model? We had difficulties in collecting whole body data together with EMG devices. I knew e.g. in RRA, torso COM need to be ajusted, but might can ajusted on pelvis instead? If not, is there any way to scale upper body without marker set? Had anyone ever tried this before?

PS: I had an old thread about failing to track kinematics in CMC? Haven't found solution yet, can anyone help me?

Ayman Habib

RE: Can RRA, CMC be done with lower body model?

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Ruoli,

In theory you can and everything would "work". The reason we use the torso rather then the pelvis in RRA is because it has biggest mass and it is least accurately measured so making adjustments there gives biggest bang for the buck, you'll have to justify for yourself how to tune RRA to fit your needs.

As to scaling, you can use manual scaling where you specify the scale factors for some segments of the model and use measurements to scale other segments.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman