pressure sensor insole for animal

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Samane Amini

pressure sensor insole for animal

Post by Samane Amini » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:22 am

Dear all

I aim to perform inverse dynamic analysis for animal movement (pig). To do this I require to measure ground reaction force of animal foot with ground (animal is permitted to walk on treadmill). I haven't seen any sensor insole which is used for animal in literature. So I want to know if there is a pressure insole for animal? or Is pressure sensor insole belonging to human practical for animal (as the contact area of animal and human are different).
Anyway, I would be grateful if you give me any idea or suggestion.

Best

Ton van den Bogert

Re: pressure sensor insole for animal

Post by Ton van den Bogert » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:44 am

Force-measuring horse shoes were developed in the 1980s by several labs. Some of those produced accurate 3D ground reaction force data.

An interesting idea is to use strain gauges on the hoof and calibrate against a force platform. Then there is nothing between the foot and the ground. This was done in horses [1], I don't remember how accurate it was. This paper probably also has good references. I did not follow the field since 1997 so there may be more recent work.

Commercial pressure insoles may not last long in pigs, because of pressure concentrations. And they are generally not 3D.

Ton van den Bogert

[1] Savelberg, HH, van Loon T, Schamhardt HC (1997) Ground reaction forces in horses, assessed from hoof wall deformation using artificial neural networks. Equine Vet J Suppl (23):6-8. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.1997.tb05041.x. Author's current email: hans.savelberg@maastrichtuniversity.nl