Muscle-tendon length VS normalized fiber length

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Giulia Cernivani

Muscle-tendon length VS normalized fiber length

Post by Giulia Cernivani » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:35 am

Dear Opensim support,
for my thesis project I have to compare the differences in the length of the muscles of children with CP and in the control group. I have scaled the model, loaded the motion and performed the Analyze tool. I want to study the muscle-tendon length but I don't know how to normalize the values between the subjects for comparing the results. I can't understand if I should use the normalized fiber length or not.
Thank you very much
Best regards
Giulia

Mohammadreza Rezaie

Re: Muscle-tendon length VS normalized fiber length

Post by Mohammadreza Rezaie » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:34 am

Hi, for between subject comparison, you need dimensionless quantities. For Length (e.g. stride length or muscle-tendon length), it is suggested to be normalized by the subject's body height or leg length.

In case of rigid tendons, fiber length = muscle-tendon length - tendon slack length. So, they have similar pattern during movement. NORMALIZED fiber length = fiber length / its OPTIMAL length

Hof, A.L. (2018). Scaling and Normalization. In: Handbook of Human Motion. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-14418-4_180
Last edited by Mohammadreza Rezaie on Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giulia Cernivani

Re: Muscle-tendon length VS normalized fiber length

Post by Giulia Cernivani » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:29 am

Thank you very much!!! :D
Best regards
Giulia