OpenSim in Unity

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Md Iftekharul Alam

OpenSim in Unity

Post by Md Iftekharul Alam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:08 pm

Hello everyone,
1 For one of project, I want to leverage OpenSim API to do OpenSim Scale, IK and ID within Unity. For that I tried to Build dll from OpenSim API and call the function from Unity, but it does not work. Any idea how to approach about it?

2 I also want to import OpenSim osim model in Unity. Any suggestions or direction how to do that? I tried to parse information from Osim file to build the model which works but without the muscle and joint. Just the bone with its location.

I really appreciate any kind of help.
Thanks

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: OpenSim in Unity

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:50 pm

Hello,

1. Can you explain specifically what does not work and how? Generally when mixing or loading libraries/dlls from one system into another you need to know the specific compiler version/settings/runtime. Do you need to run OpenSim live in the loop or can you interact with it through command line/executables (that can be independently built/compiled)?

2. Would be good to expand on what you mean by importing the osim model. If the goal is to get a static snapshot of the model/meshes then that's easy to do for visualization purposes as it appears you've done already, however if you want to include the behavior of the joints, constraints, forces and controllers then it's a totally different ballgame..

Maybe a high-level view of what the project looks like and why you need to do it in unity would help.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Md Iftekharul Alam

Re: OpenSim in Unity

Post by Md Iftekharul Alam » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 pm

Hi,
First of all thanks a lot for the reply.

1. What I want is to perform the scaling, IK, ID of OpenSim within Unity on OpenSim osim model. For that I am trying to tap into OpenSim API. I build a dll with Visual Studio in C++ with a dynamic link library project. I set up the project including all the dependencies for using OpenSim API from my local system where I installed OpenSIm. The dll is build then I moved it to Assets/Plugins to access the functionalities of that dll through C# script within Unity, but it says dll not found.
I did exactly same thing with VTK library which is c++ also, wrapped it in a dll then access the functionality from unity through C# script to convert the vtp geometry files to stl for importing the meshes in unity for model visualization purpose.

2. I want to perform Scale, Ik and id tool on the exact osim model from opensim in unity. I want replicate at least Joint and ForceSet. It is alread done by one person but he never responded to my email. I am giving you the link of that work :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKNSJX ... hardAbella

I hope to get a reply.
Thanks
Iftekhar