Change in Muscle Geometry Path Calculations post-4.1 (Mobl-Arms models affected)

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Maximillian Diaz

Change in Muscle Geometry Path Calculations post-4.1 (Mobl-Arms models affected)

Post by Maximillian Diaz » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:12 am

So the tldr version of this adventure is I am curious if something changed in 4.2 about how muscle geometry paths are calculated that didn't make it into the release notes of 4.2/4.3/4.4.

The long version of this is that I was testing a combined version of the latest MoBL-ARMs upper limb (https://simtk.org/projects/upexdyn) and hand/wrist model (https://simtk.org/projects/arms_hand_model) in 4.3. In testing I found that certain combinations of positive wrist deviation and negative wrist flexion angles caused the ECRL and/or ECRB muscle to do some crazy muscle wrapping. The extent of the crazy path varies with the joint angles.
Wonky ECRL.png
Wonky ECRL.png (176.24 KiB) Viewed 399 times
WonkyECRL2.png
WonkyECRL2.png (95.93 KiB) Viewed 399 times

To see if it was my own mess up, I found that this also happened with fresh downloads of the models (can recreate on windows by setting deviation to .435 and flexion to -1.22, may need to mess with the elbow flexion in the upper limb model, although the issue isn't constrained to just those values). It isn't just a visualizer error since the fiber-length and moment arms are wonky.
UpperLimbValues.png
UpperLimbValues.png (45.81 KiB) Viewed 399 times

Since the MoBL-ARMS upper limb model is validated to 4.1 I decide to try all the models in 4.1 to see what happened. In 4.1 the geometry path doesn't result in any crazy paths and all the fiber length/moment arms curves are normal. So...figuring it was a version issue and I tried 4.2 and 4.4 as well, both result in crazy geometry paths that cause similar issues for fiber length/moment arms as in 4.3.

The fix that I eventually found was that the ECRL and ECRB wrapping surfaces at the wrist were causing the issue (ruled out the elbow wrapping surface since 1. toggling it off didn't fix the issue and 2. ECRB doesn't use that wrapping surface). The default settings had this as the wrapping path settings
ECRLOGWrapFunction.png
ECRLOGWrapFunction.png (40.51 KiB) Viewed 399 times
which work in 4.1 with no issues. However, to address the issue in 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 I had to change the wrapping settings to
ECRLFixedWrapFunction.png
ECRLFixedWrapFunction.png (20.83 KiB) Viewed 399 times

With the change I got identical force length/moment arm curves in 4.2/4.3/4.4 as the original models had in 4.1. I will note that the geometry path settings that work in 4.2/4.3/4.4 do cause some wrapping issues in 4.1, but it seems to just be a visualizer issue or small enough not to affect the fiber length/moment arm curves. Its also worth pointing out that the wrapping issues only occurred between points 1 and 2.

So ultimately I am curious if something changed in 4.2 that affects geometry path calculations that didn't make it into the release notes, since the original models have no issue in 4.1 but changing how the geometry path is calculated fixed the issue in 4.2 onwards. Or if this is some phantom wrapping issue. Also a heads up if someone else has this problem.

Cheers,
-Max

Tags:

Kristy Godoy

Re: Change in Muscle Geometry Path Calculations post-4.1 (Mobl-Arms models affected)

Post by Kristy Godoy » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:55 am

Hi Maximillian,
I'm using the model Mobl-arm in OpenSim 4.1. I ran the IK tool with experimental data. I got a estrange behavior in one of the muscles (LAT1) it seems it loses its point of origin or insertion at two time instants, I want to know if you could give me a hint about how to verify if that is a visualization issue or is the path of the muscle actually being altered.
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Attachments
Ik_issue.jpg
Ik_issue.jpg (174 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Maximillian Diaz

Re: Change in Muscle Geometry Path Calculations post-4.1 (Mobl-Arms models affected)

Post by Maximillian Diaz » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:29 am

Hi Kristy,

The easiest way to see if the muscle path changes are either a visualizer error or path error would be to plot the fiber length and moment arm curves for LAT1. This can be done with the plot tool, and I usually do a set of plots in the default posture and a set of plots with my posture set to whatever combination causes the issue. If its a visualizer issue the plots should be smooth, if its a path/wrapping issue there will be spikes and/or random jumps. It may also be worth doing a set of curves in the base model and your scaled model.

My gut instinct is that it is probably a muscle path wrapping issue, new ones seem to pop up with the upper limb models every couple of OpenSim versions. You can see how paths are defined in the GemoetryPath section under the section where LAT1 is defined in the osim xml tree (open the osim file in something like NotePad++) or under the GeometryPath section of the muscle properties in the OpenSim GUI).

Out of curiosity could you share the joint angles (coordinates) for the two times LAT1 goes crazy in your IK results.

The good news is that the LAT1 muscle acting weird won't affect your IK results, but if you plan to run forward/inverse dynamics, static optimization, and/or CMC you may end up with a weird spike in the results at the two time points where LAT1 acts funny.

Cheers,
-Max