Forward dynamics from neural activation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Diego Torricelli

Forward dynamics from neural activation

Post by Diego Torricelli » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:42 am

Hello,

Is it possible to run the forward dynamics from a set of neural activations of the muscles? Does the "excitation editor" concern this?

Thank you for the reply

Ayman Habib

RE: Forward dynamics from neural activation

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Diego,

Yes you can create and edit a fresh set of excitations in the excitation editor then you can use them to drive a forward simulation. If you have the EMG signals in the form of a storage file then you can use that to drive a Forward Simulation directly using the latest beta release of 2.2.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Diego Torricelli

Post by Diego Torricelli » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 am

Thank's Ayman for your quick reply!

I've another question related to this: can I realize any on-line closed loop control, i.e. change the excitations during the movement, based on the feedback information on current kinematics?

I'm afraid that this needs communication with Matlab /Simulink.. right? If so, can I export the models to Simulink blocks? Or, can I load any kind of intelligent control into OpenSim?

Yes, I want the moon.. :)

Thank you very much!

Diego

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Diego,

Depending on how complicated is your controller, you can do the whole thing in OpenSim using the aPI (to create a custom controller) or export the model as a Simulink block. For the former solution I'd suggest you download version 2.2 release beta and try the ControllerExample (you need a development environment using VisualStudio 2008 Express) and let us know if you have questions. For the latter (Simulink) I'd suggest you contact the maintainers of the project https://simtk.org/home/opensim_matlab as they've done something similar in an earlier version of OpenSim.

Eitherway, we'll give you the moon :)
-Ayman

suparna dey

Re: Forward dynamics from neural activation

Post by suparna dey » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Dear All,

I would like to do something similar (closed-loop online control using a custom control). Could you please guide me as to where I can find the controllerexample currently?

Thanks and Regards

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed May 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Hello,

The ControllerExample is distributed and installed in the resources directory in version 4.0 and later. Typically this is installed at
(C:\{user}\Documents\OpenSim\4.1\Code\CPP\ControllerExample)

Please give it a try and let us know if you run into problems,

Best regards,
-Ayman

liang gu

Post by liang gu » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:53 am

Dear all

I am currently running a similar simulation. I plan to use the excitation to drive the model, which is recorded in the format of this file (subject01_walk1_controls.xml). I want to know if it's possible to call this file in MATLAB, if it's possible, could you please give me a guide? Or is there a more efficient way to conduct such a simulation?

Looking forward to your reply!

Thank you so much!