Angles in degrees or radiants?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
fausto panizzolo

Angles in degrees or radiants?

Post by fausto panizzolo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 am

Hi Ayman,

I have some troubles with the preparation of a file .sto, in particular for the values of the angle I have to give as input.
From a visual checking in the "coordinates" panel I understand that the values of the angle are set in degrees.
If I prepare such a file and I use load motion this works.

But if I use the same file loading it directly from the Analysis Tool window to compute the MuscleAnalysis
the angles have to be in radiants otherwise I get weird results.
Is there a bug or am I wrong in doing something?

Thanks

Fausto

Ayman Habib

RE: Angles in degrees or radiants?

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Fausto,

For historical reasons, OpenSim supports two formats that have significantly overlapping functionality (.sto and .mot files). ".mot" files are supposed to be in degrees while ".sto" files are generated as a result of analyses and are usually in radians (though the format supports both). We should parse the header to make sure we handle this properly. If you have a file that conforms to this format where the header is not parsed/handled properly please file a bug report and attach it along with other files necessary to reproduce the bug and I'll investigate.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

fausto panizzolo

RE: Angles in degrees or radiants?

Post by fausto panizzolo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:03 am

Thanks Ayman!