OpenSim - Startup Error

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Ashley Rhyne

RE: OpenSim - Startup Error

Post by Ashley Rhyne » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:13 pm

When I try to edit the opensim.conf file to change location to jdkhome="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6" it will not let me save the file. It keeps stating access denied. Can someone explain what I may be missing?

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Ashley,

On window 7 (also depending on your setting) the directory C:/Program Files/ is write-protected so you wouldn't be able to modify the file (that's why we install by default in C:/OpenSim2.2.x/ for example). You can change permissions if you have admin rights and that should work. The bigger question is why you're doing the change? In the past (before 2.2 I believe) we used a JRE that didn't work on Window 7 but now we use a more recent version so you shouldn't need to change the .conf file. Please send me which OpenSim version and Operating System name/version so that we can address any issues you have in upcoming releases.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Ashley Rhyne

Post by Ashley Rhyne » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Ayman,

I am downloading OpenSim 2.2 and am using Windows 7. I keep getting the error "Required Library failed to load. Check the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your PATH java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no osimJavaJNI in java.library.path" I am not sure if that is the same error others were getting earlier, but is there a way to fix this?

Mike Hast

Re: OpenSim - Startup Error

Post by Mike Hast » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

Hi Ayman,

I am having problems that are similar to Ashley. When I launch OpenSim (from the shortcut or from the *.bat file), I get the DOS prompt, which disappears-- followed by nothing! I have tried everything, including downloading and installing the newest version of Java, and pointing OpenSim to that directory using the opensim.conf file. I not installing OpenSim to C:\Program Files, but rather to it's own directory in the C-drive.

I am using Windows Vista Business (much to my dismay), and am attempting to install the most recent version of OpenSim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mike

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Mike,

I don't have a Vista Business machine to try on but if you can send the stack trace of the error/crash (probably in an hs_* ) file in the installation directory we can figure it out. I'm thinking this is an issue with the JRE or the Path but can't confirm without a stack trace or error log. Also is your machine running in English mode? Were you successful in running any earlier version of OpenSim on that machine?

Please let me know and good luck,
-Ayman

Kin 421

Re: OpenSim 3.0 - Startup Error

Post by Kin 421 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Ayman,

I am downloading OpenSim 3.0 on my teaching lab computers for the students (using Windows xp Professional.) I keep getting the error "Required Library failed to load. Check the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your PATH java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:..." I am not sure if this could be due to the fact that I am logged in as a user and do not have administrator privledges, however it seems to install without any trouble, and this error occurs when I go to run opensim, and models will not load even though they are installed. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi,
The error message about the dynamic library osimJavaJNI not on the path could be misleading. This would be the case if the library is located but other libraries that it depends on are not found. The likely culprit would be that the redistributable did not run at the end of the installation process. For the record, which installer did you use (VC8P or VC10P)? In either case you can force run the distributable by changing to the directory where OpenSim is installed /bin and double clicking the vcredist_x86.exe then relaunch OpenSim.

If that doesn't help, and neither of the two installers work please let me know and I'll help you troublehoot further. As of version 3.0, the executable to launch OpenSim and all dlls live in the same directory (${install_dir}/bin) so launching the GUI doesn't require modifying the PATH.

Please let me know how it goes,
-Ayman

Kin 421

Post by Kin 421 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Ayman,
Thanks for the quick response. I think we have figured out that the Windows Service pack has not been updated at all and therefore the error is because we were using version 1.
Thanks
-Taylor

Surbhi Gupta

Post by Surbhi Gupta » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 pm

On starting 'opensim', it gives following error:
"Required library failed to load. Check that the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your PATH java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no osimJavaJNI in java.library.path"

I have installed OpenSim-3.2.0-win64VC13P.exe and visual c++ 2013 redistribution (x64).