Motion display bug

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Bruno Picasso

Motion display bug

Post by Bruno Picasso » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:27 am

Hi, I downloaded version 2.4 of OpenSim but this problem was present also in the previous one. I load the gait2392_symbody.osim and the ground appears at an incorrect position, roughly at middle level of the body. When i load the motion subject_01_walk.mot the only thing that moves are the force vectors. Thank you for your kind help.
Bruno Picasso

Ayman Habib

Re: Motion display bug

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 am

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for trying OpenSim 2.4. We appreciate your feedback.

For the specific issues you reported,
1. The ground/floor appearing around the middle of the body: I don't think this is a bug since there's a coordinate (pelvis_ty) associated with the vertical placement of the ground with respect to the skeleton. If you want you can move this around (by moving the slider in the GUI). You can actually pose the model in any configuration you want and make that the default pose when you open the model next time or when you start simulation by picking "Set Default" from the "Poses>" button on the Coordinates window.

2. Animating motion: Depending on what's in the motion/sto file you're loading, the coordinate values in this file are applied to the model (matched by coordinate names) and if there's other data (e.g. Ground Reaction Forces) they could be visualized. So I'd suggest you open the motion file in question (using some text editor or excel), if it contains coordinate names in the column labels, check that they match those in the model (shown in Coordinates window). If these match and the model is not moving as specified in the motion file then please let me know and I'll help you troubleshoot further.

Best regards and please let us know if you have any questions,
-Ayman

Bruno Picasso

Re: Motion display bug

Post by Bruno Picasso » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 am

Hi Aymanh,
your advice has been extremely helpful. I opened the file subject01_walk1.mot and the surprise was ...that inside there was only ground force data and no motion at all. Now I understand that one can relatively easily build his motion file, using a predifined motion law for all dofs. Thank you very much.
Bruno