Problem saving scaled model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Caterina Passini

Problem saving scaled model

Post by Caterina Passini » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:02 am

Hi, I have a little problem with my model when I tri to scale it by using GUI:
I used a Opensim model, I added marker, and used a .trc file to scale it, at first it appears correct with blue marker in almost the right position, but then, when I save this scaled-model, I close it and I re-open it, it appears different from the one I Have just closed, it has a more perfect model (my previous scaled model was a little bit crouch) but more important, the markers on the legs are Ok, while the ones in the torso (about 4 markers) are far away from the model! They have the correct position compared to the other tree, but they are away! Does anyone know what’s wrong? Thank you very much :)
Caterina

Ayman Habib

Re: Problem saving scaled model

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 am

Hi Caterina,

At the end of scaling, the GUI applies a configuration (set of coordinate values) to the model that matches the average configuration computed from static trial. The configuration is not part of the model but you can see the coordinate values by inspecting the coordinate viewer window. When you load the model again, it assumes no specific configuration (likely the same default configuration as the unscaled model) so the fact that when you load the scaled model it "looks" in a different configuration is in itself not a problem or a bug.

For the marker positions/issue, did you select to move markers during scaling? Are you sure the new markers you added are on the correct segments? More info would be needed to check if there's a bug/issue there.

Please let us know so we can help you troubleshoot further.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Caterina Passini

Post by Caterina Passini » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Ayman, thank you for your help :) To scale my model I used a OpenSim model without marker and I added marker myself, then by using the GUI I checked “Preserve mass distribution during scale” and “Marker data for measurement” where I browsed a Static file .trc,
I checked also “marker data for static pose” where I browsed the same .trc file and here I met the first problem, since in scale Factor it didn’t recognize any of my markers except two of them (they were sure the same in the .trc file and in the model) …I did some effort and at the end simply changing the name from for example Grandx, Sa, C7, Lepdx… to R.GT, Sacro, Cerv7, R.LE it worked, and the program run! ;-)
(it seems to me very strange that the first name was not “compatible” isn’t it? That could be a bug?)
- Then I run the program and got my scaled model with blue mark on my screen
( I noticed that the location of the model and the posture of my scaled model was very sensitive to how/were I put the marker in the first model, I mean, the scaled model is not perfectly straight, it has a little bit crouch posture changing according to the position of markers in the first model, the first time I got it a little bit bent on the right shoulder, then I changed better the position of the marker of the shoulder in my first model (I used a openSim model with legs and torso, no arms) and now the scaled model is a little bit leant ahead… anyway I selected my “crouch” scaled model as the current model and save it. I close it and then, when I opened it, I had the problem that consist in having a very straight model with the right markers just on the legs, while the others are far away from it.
Do you know if there is a way to save the scaled model with the new configuration, because I would like to use it to move?
Hoping not to be too boring with all my explanation , thank you very much for your help!
Caty
Attachments
re-saved.png
The re-opened model
Immagine.png
My friend was straight while she was doing the static test, but now it seems like she was leaning ahead, anyone know what could be wrong?

Caterina Passini

Post by Caterina Passini » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi, thanks to your help I found out the problem! The indicted marker were placed in the ground instead of in pelvis etc... Thank you very much, I'm sorry I didn't think about it at all!

Best wishes

Caty