Using import org.opensim.modeling.*

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Anthony Santago

Using import org.opensim.modeling.*

Post by Anthony Santago » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:19 am

I'm attempting to learn about the Matlab OpenSim interface from the OpenSim 3.0 beta and am having trouble developing a model instance. I believe that Matlab is not importing the org.opensim.modeling.* correctly. However, I wanted to make ensure that I was following the protocol correctly before contacting Mathworks. I'm using Matlab R2011A. Below is my code:

import org.opensim.modeling.*
scaleFactor = 1.0;
dir = 'C:\Users\asantag\Documents\OpenSim 3.0\sdk\Matlab\testData\Subject01';
cd(dir);
Model_In = ['subject01_gait2392','_scaled.osim'];
Model_Out = 'subject01_gait2392_scaled_Altered.osim';
Model1 = Model(Model_In);

Error message:
??? Undefined function or method 'Model' for input arguments of type 'char'.

I believe this is indicating that Matlab does not recognize that this is a C++ command and it trying to find the function "Model" in its path definition.

Romain LEBERRE

Re: Using import org.opensim.modeling.*

Post by Romain LEBERRE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am

Hi,
I had a similar problem with version 2.4.0. I realized that I was using Matlab 64 bits while OpenSim was a 32 bits version. Now it works fine with Matlab 32 bits.
Also make sure that you have set up Matlab to access the Java wrapper to Opensim. It is well explained in the readme I enclosed given in https://simtk.org/home/matlab_tools.
Hope this helps
Attachments
ReadmeAPI.txt
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

Anthony Santago

Post by Anthony Santago » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I added the exact lines below
"C:\OpenSim 3.0\opensim\modules\org-opensim-modeling.jar" to the classpath.txt
"C:\Opensim3.0\bin" to librarypath.txt
"C:\Opensim3.0\bin" to the pathdef file

when I tried to run the following code
model = org.opensim.modeling.Model();

I received the following error
Java exception occurred:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.swig_module_init()V

at org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.swig_module_init(Native Method)

at org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.<clinit>(opensimModelJNI.java:6475)

at org.opensim.modeling.Model.<init>(Model.java:110)

I'm running a 32 bit matlab on a 64 bit windows machine. Can you direct me to the appropriate version of java to download?

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi Anthony,

I'd recommend you follow the steps on the support site below for version 3.0 as they're more updated.
http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:80 ... ith+Matlab

Your error message suggests that the OpenSim dlls are not found on your path, while the jar file has been located properly. Did you call editpath as described on the page above?

Please make sure you use the exact full path (spaces included if any) as in your message it appears that the change in librarypath.txt uses "OpenSim3.0" while the class path change uses "OpenSim 3.0" with extra space after OpenSim.

Please let us know how it goes so we can update the instructions if needed. Just in case, what's your version of Matlab?

-Ayman

Anthony Santago

Post by Anthony Santago » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 am

Ayman

Thank you for your response. I had to reinstall OpenSim in addition to altering my windows settings. I had to change my settings so that windows did not query me to ask whether or not software could access the C: drive. Thank you for your help. I'm currently using Matlab 2012b.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Anthony,

Great that you got around your problems. I'm not sure exactly what you changed where (in Windows permissions? or Matlab?) to get going but it would be great if you can post the details (what commands you used, where) so that other users with similar problems can benefit from your successful experience.

All the best,
-Ayman

Anthony Santago

Post by Anthony Santago » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Matlab was having trouble accessing the C: drive because of my Windows 7 User Account Control Settings. Basically, Matlab needed administrator permission to access the C: drive and was incapable was asking for permission for whatever reason. If you have performed all of the instructions and are still having problems running the interface I would recommend doing the following

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

then press on the link called "Change user account control settings"

Move the bar all the way to the bottom so it says "never notify"

Sina Porsa

Post by Sina Porsa » Sun May 26, 2013 8:59 pm

aymanh wrote:Hi Anthony,

I'd recommend you follow the steps on the support site below for version 3.0 as they're more updated.

Your error message suggests that the OpenSim dlls are not found on your path, while the jar file has been located properly. Did you call editpath as described on the page above?

Please make sure you use the exact full path (spaces included if any) as in your message it appears that the change in librarypath.txt uses "OpenSim3.0" while the class path change uses "OpenSim 3.0" with extra space after OpenSim.

Please let us know how it goes so we can update the instructions if needed. Just in case, what's your version of Matlab?

-Ayman
Hi dear Ayman
I followed all the steps in above mentioned link. I edited classpath.txt and librarypath.txt and also added c:\OpenSim 3.0\bin to the path.
After restarting the Matlab I tested to check if everything is ok. I typed "model = org.opensim.modeling.Model();" in matlab command window and it created a model object, which I suppose means that everything is configured correctly.
But when I want to run the example *.m files (e.g. OpenSimCreateTugOfWarModel.m) Matlab returns this error:

Required library failed to load. Check that the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your PATH. java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:\OPenSim 3.0\bin\osimJavaJNI.dll: The specified procedure could not be found.

Regards,
Sina

Sina Porsa

Post by Sina Porsa » Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi All
I just understood how to solve the problem.
If i launch MatLab from start menu and the change MatLab working directory to the folder which contains the m files, everything will work. But if I double click on the m file to launch MatLab, it returns the above mentioned error.

Mohammad S. Shourijeh

Post by Mohammad S. Shourijeh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 am

Hello,

I faced with a similar issue. I am running Windows7-64bit, Java 7 Update 21, and MATLAB 2013-a 32bit.
I followed all the steps detailed in the following link:
but I got this error message window when executing "model = org.opensim.modeling.Model();":
"Required library failed to load. Check that the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your PATH
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\OpenSim 3.0\bin\osimJavaJNI.dll: The specified procedure could not be found"

As mentioned by Ayman, the dll file is located at the bin folder, so it is misleading.

When I close that error window, this error is printed on the Command Window:
---------------------------------start of the error-------------------------------------------------
Java exception occurred:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.swig_module_init()V
at org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.swig_module_init(Native
Method)
at
org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.<clinit>(opensimModelJNI.java:8014)
at org.opensim.modeling.Model.<init>(Model.java:118)

----------------------------------end of the error-------------------------------------------------
I tried different things, including Java re-installation and installing OpenSim 3.1 beta and following the steps for 3.1 version. I also tried "never notify" setting, mentioned by Anthony, but the issue still exists.
Can anyone think of a workaround?

By the way, editpath does not apparently work anymore; if you still want to use the command window, "pathtool" works for all MATLAB versions.

Thanks,
Mohammad