MomentArmSolver

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Gil Serrancolí

MomentArmSolver

Post by Gil Serrancolí » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Hello,

I need to calculate the muscle moment arms from a group of captures. So far, I have used the MuscleAnalyse, running it from Matlab.

Also I used the API, with the ComputeMomentArm(). But I have read in a previous post that the MomentArmSolver() could calculate the moment arms from all muscles at the same time. I was wondering how to call this function in Matlab, but I couldn't find out. Could anyone tell me how to call it from Matlab? Is this faster than the MuscleAnalyse?

Thank you very much,

Gil

Ayman Habib

Re: MomentArmSolver

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Gil,

The MuscleAnalysis is handy but is a bit overkill if all you want is to compute moment arms (as it computes many more quantities that may not be of interest to you). The method "computeMomentArm" does exactly what you want by creating a MomentArmSolver internally to compute the moment arm with very low overhead, so I'd recommend you continue using it. MomentArmSolver is an internal class that's not exposed in the API and it does not compute moment arms for all muscles at the same time as far as I can tell.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Gil Serrancolí

Re: MomentArmSolver

Post by Gil Serrancolí » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks Ayman,

I was wondering if computeMomentArms() or other method could calculate the moment arms for all coordinates at the same time. So far, I am doing an iteration through all frames, all coordinates and all muscles to calculate the moment arms and it takes a long time.
It seems that MuscleAnalyse is calculating the moment arms for all coordinates at each iteration, can computeMomentArms() do the same?

Thank you again,

Gil