Moco goals for average speed in cycling model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Ana de Sousa

Moco goals for average speed in cycling model

Post by Ana de Sousa » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:33 am

Hello,

I'm currently working on a project involving a human model (with joint torques) connected to a crank, capable of pedalling from position 0 to 360 degrees. I can successfully predict pedal motion using MocoFinalTimeGoal as the target goal.

Now, I want to explore a different target: average crank speed, rather than optimising minimal time.

I would like some help with that! I considered the following options:

MocoAverageSpeedGoal
The documentation mentions it requires the average speed to match a desired value, calculated as the displacement of the system's COM divided by the phase duration. It seems designed for walking with the COM as a translational displacement. Is that correct? I'm unsure about its fit for my cycling model, where the COM ideally stays in the same position at the start and end. On this topic, I have an additional question, how is the phase duration defined in Moco?

MocoAngularVelocityTrackingGoal
It focuses on tracking speed rather than achieving a specific average speed. I'm specifically interested in predicting the final speed, not tracking a movement yet.

MocoGoal
It seems to be more oriented towards initial and final constraints rather than average speed.

Custom goal?
I have no idea where to begin and would greatly appreciate any insights or ideas that might help.

Any other option
I'm open to exploring any suggestions given here. Thanks a lot!

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Tags:

Carmichael Ong

Re: Moco goals for average speed in cycling model

Post by Carmichael Ong » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:02 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the problem and ideas you've tried! You may want to post this question on the Moco forum instead to get more specialized help there with Moco.

Ana de Sousa

Re: Moco goals for average speed in cycling model

Post by Ana de Sousa » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:11 am

Hi Carmichael, thanks for the suggestion, it makes more sense indeed. If someone wants to follow, it is here.