problem building OpenSim from source

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Ayman Habib

Re: problem building OpenSim from source

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the update.

Let's focus on one issue (Debug) since that's what you actually need.
According to the build log first error, VS couldn't locate SimTKcommon_d (and later on all other SimTK debug libraries). The important questions are:
1. Were these files created in the install directory of Simbody ?
2. If yes, then you need to find out why OpenSim build couldn't locate them. Possible reasons: not rerunning CMake after Simbody install, different names of libs, or CMake finding wrong installation of Simbody.
3. If no, then you should go back to the Simbody build/install and find out why these .lib files were not generated.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Kevin Tanghe

Post by Kevin Tanghe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 am

Hi, I realised that I didn't build Simbody with the debug option, only with the RelWithDebInfo option. Now, I have build Simbody in debug option and I have builded the ALL_BUILD and INSTALL projects of OpenSim. All ended without failures.

However, when I try to build RUN_TESTS, I do get some failures. You can find the error list and the output in the attachment. What could be the problem here?
Attachments
build_run_tests.txt
(10.48 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Kevin,

I think the test cases that fail are the ones that try to Open external/model files. Thry would probably fail if you don't have permissions to write in the test directory. You should be able to check the log file for the testing (usually under your build directory/Testing/Temporary/*.log) to see more details about the failures. If not you can step into one of the test cases that fail in VisualStudio and see why it's failing.

Please let us know what you find out.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Kevin Tanghe

Post by Kevin Tanghe » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 am

Hi,

In the attachment you can find the log files. I ran Visual Studio in administrator mode, so I guess it won't be a problem of writing rights.

I have also added a screen shot of an error that pops up during the RUN_TESTS build.

Kind regards,
Kevin
Attachments
Capture.PNG
LastTestsFailed.log
(901 Bytes) Downloaded 12 times
LastTest.log
(79.27 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:35 am

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, trying to find out which line of code caused a low level assertion is a bit hard. Looking at the failure log I mostly see downstream effects of earlier problems. It would be best to run the test cases (e.g. testSerialization) inside the Visual Studio environment and find out which line of code causes the assertion. It will also allow you to verify that the correct set of libraries has been loaded (check the Output tab of VisualStudio at the start of the program to see the full path of the libraries that were loaded.)

Please try that and let us know what you find out.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Kevin Tanghe

Post by Kevin Tanghe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:58 am

Hi,

I have rebuild the source code in my documents directory to make sure there are no permission rights problems:
source folder: C:\Users\u0074271\Documents\OpenSim\OpenSim_source
build folder: C:\Users\u0074271\Documents\OpenSim\OpenSim_build
install folder: C:\Users\u0074271\Documents\OpenSim\OpenSim

Again, the ALL_BUILD and INSTALL projects where executed without failures.
However, RUN_TESTS gave several problems.

When I try to run one single test (testSerialization) I got the error screen enclosed in the attachment.
I checked the folder permissions in windows explorer, and I have all rights to that folder.
What to do?
Attachments
Capture.PNG

Michael Sherman

Post by Michael Sherman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi, Kevin. The particular message you showed comes from having "ALL_BUILD" set as your startup project in Visual Studio. That is not an executable program. To run testSerialization, find the testSerialization project within the OpenSim "Solution Explorer" window in Visual Studio, right click on it, and select "Set as StartUp Project".

Regards,
Sherm

Kevin Tanghe

Post by Kevin Tanghe » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:58 am

Ok, now I can run the example. Suddenly a screen pops up that tells me: testSerialization.exe has triggered a breakpoint. The break seems to appear at line 574. So far, the cmd screen has printed 5 lines:

'hell'
'there'
'1.234e5'
'-infinity'
(hell,there,1.234e5,-infinity)

The output of Visual studio can be found in the attachment .
Attachments
output.txt
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Michael Sherman

Post by Michael Sherman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:52 am

Well, there is definitely something wrong with your build Kevin. I saw a strange mix of runtimes from msvc 10 and 12 in the output you sent. Below is what I get using msvc 12 (that is 2013). Note that there are no msvc100 libraries loaded.

My suggestion would be that you wipe out everything you have built and start again using only 2013. Build & install Simbody with 2013 (debug,install,relwithdebinfo,install) then build OpenSim and watch while it copies the Simbody files to make sure it got them from where you expected. Check your environment variables and path to see if there is any unexpected junk on them.

Sherm

Code: Select all

'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\testSerialization.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\osimCommon_d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\SimTKcommon_d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcr120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\SimTKmath_d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\liblapack.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\pthreadVC2_x64.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\libblas.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\libgfortran-3.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.8387_none_08e793bfa83a89b5\msvcr90.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Sherm\Documents\Binaries\VS12-64\opensim-core\Debug\libquadmath-0.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nsi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'testSerialization.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The program '[2252] testSerialization.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Kevin Tanghe

Post by Kevin Tanghe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:43 am

Ok, I have rebuild everything as you suggested. Now, building the RUN_TESTS project is way better. In debug mode, most of the tests pass. Only 1 failed, and 3 had a timeout (the VS output can be found in the attachment). The error screens that I had before don't show up anymore.

In RelWithDebInfo mode, no timeouts occur, but the same test failes (VS output also in attachment).
Attachments
OpenSim_RUN_TESTS_RelWithDebInfo_output.txt
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
OpenSim_RUN_TESTS_debug_output.txt
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 15 times