osim file documentation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Ajay Sonar

RE: osim file documentation

Post by Ajay Sonar » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Ayman,

If I want to use the OpenSim API, how would I go about it. As of now I have no clue as to how and trying to put information together from various help files.

Thanks,
Ajay

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Ajay,

Do you have a development environment for C++? If so please let me know which VisualStudio C++ version do you have. The distribution of OpenSim has an sdk folder that contain example programs that use the API, also there's a Developers' Guide on the downloads page with instructions regarding how to compile a main program that uses the OpenSim API. Please let me know if you run into problems locating or following these instructions.

Good luck,
-Ayman

Ajay Sonar

Post by Ajay Sonar » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Ayman,

I have Visual C++ 2008 Express edition. I also downloaded the developers guide. I will go through the instructions. Another question, is it possible to make use of an existing osim model so that I can build upon it.

Thanks,
Ajay

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:22 am

Ajay,

Sure, the distribution includes an example where you load an Arm model and perform an optimization on it, so you should be able to find the code that loads a model from file and then you can make whatever changes on it.

Since you have VS 2008 Express I'd suggest you use the 2.0.2 release beta distribution that has the suffix VC9E as this was built using the same development platform and so is less likely to cause you problems down the road.

Good Luck,
-Ayman