Updating older model file to 4.0 using utility

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Eric Rapp

Updating older model file to 4.0 using utility

Post by Eric Rapp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:40 am

Hi, I am new to OpenSim and would like to update an old model for use in OpenSim 4.0.

The error is that coordinates are labeled as rotational but found to be coupled, and I am told to run the updatePre40KinematicsFilesFor40MotionType() utility in the ScriptingShell Window (by the error and the upgrade notes page https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... penSim+4.0)

However, I am not sure how to properly implement this utility to update my model. I had to update another model from the beta version of 4.0 and was able to follow the upgrade notes page on how to do that which is displayed like this:

>>> model = modeling.Model('my_model_file_version_30516.osim')
>>> modeling.opensimSimulation.updateSocketConnecteesBySearch(model)
>>> model.print('my_model_file_4.0.osim')

Can some please explain to me how to use updatePre40KinematicsFilesFor40MotionType(), potentially in a similar fashion to the beta upgrade?

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: Updating older model file to 4.0 using utility

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 am

Hi Eric,

The motion type issue is automatically fixed in the model by the upgrade code, no action is needed on your side. The utility you mention (updatePre40KinematicsFilesFor40MotionType) is not related to the model file(s) but to fixing motion/storage files that you generated in earlier versions that contains wrong coordinate motion type. If you rerun the tools or regenerate results fresh in 4.0 then you should be fine and you don't need to use the utility.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Brianna Forsthoefel

Re: Updating older model file to 4.0 using utility

Post by Brianna Forsthoefel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi,

I am also new to OpenSim and trying to update motion files to the 4.0 version. What would be the exact syntax in the ScriptingShell to update the motion files?

Thanks,
Brianna