Scaling muscle force

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Mojtaba Safari

Scaling muscle force

Post by Mojtaba Safari » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:24 am

Hello,
I have a question about scaling muscle isometric force. OpenSim muscle force scale factor is 1.2 (According to the provided Python script in OpenSim).

What is the basis of this scale factor (i.e., Based on Delp, 1990 and Hamner et al., 2010 Research)?

At the OpenSim FAQ page, it is written that "other researchers have noticed that the "strength" (i.e., optimal force) of the muscles has to be increased for movements with higher forces and accelerations, like running and cutting, or for pathological gaits, such as crouch gait"

therefore, is it okay to say that it is required to calculate muscle isometric force for the mentioned tasks via Biodex device? Also, does this scale factor affect all muscles if not which muscles would be affected?

Thanks in advance

Tags:

Mojtaba Safari

Re: Scaling muscle force

Post by Mojtaba Safari » Tue May 28, 2019 1:38 pm

can somebody help me

Thomas Uchida

Re: Scaling muscle force

Post by Thomas Uchida » Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm

OpenSim muscle force scale factor is 1.2 (According to the provided Python script in OpenSim). What is the basis of this scale factor (i.e., Based on Delp, 1990 and Hamner et al., 2010 Research)?
The script is just an example for demonstrating property editing.
is it okay to say that it is required to calculate muscle isometric force for the mentioned tasks via Biodex device?
It depends on your research question, what Biodex data you have, which model you are using, what type of motion you are studying, what quantities you need to compute and to what precision, etc. Hicks et al. (2015) contains some information you may find useful: Hicks, J.L., Uchida, T.K., Seth, A., Rajagopal, A., Delp, S.L. Is my model good enough? Best practices for verification and validation of musculoskeletal models and simulations of movement. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 137(2):020905, 2015. https://nmbl.stanford.edu/publications/ ... ks2015.pdf