Limitation in joint range of motion: Vertical jumping analysis

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Hae Dong Lee

Limitation in joint range of motion: Vertical jumping analysis

Post by Hae Dong Lee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:23 pm

I try to analyze typical vertical jumping motion using "LaiArnold2017" model.
While doing so, I realized that the ankle range of motion is limited from -40 (plantarflexion) to 30 (dorsiflexion) and that the experimentally obtained ankle dorsiflxion angle exceeded the model limitation.
I do not think I could simply increase the ROM in the model because it would provide invalid values in muscle-involved analyses (e.g. CMC).
I chose this model because of the increased knee ROM and encountered unexpected problem!
Should I choose another model or modify the model that I am using? Unfortunately, I am not such an expert who are easily able to modify and validate the model. haha :(

Tags:

saylee patkar

Re: Limitation in joint range of motion: Vertical jumping analysis

Post by saylee patkar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:30 am

Dear sir,
Did you find solution of your problem?
I am also facing similar problem with ROM of knee joint as my model exceeds the ROM by almost 40 degrees. I don't know how to change pre-defined ROM. If you find solution for this please let us know.
I am using Opensim 4.0.

Hae Dong Lee

Post by Hae Dong Lee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:27 am

I looked at coordinates (joint properties) in the generic "Gait2392.osim" and found that the hip flexion(-102~120), knee flexion(-120~120) and ankle(-90~90) ROMs were much greater than those in the LaiArnold2017 model, which seemed to be more appropriate for my vertical jumping analyses (including CMC simulation).
Should I use this Gait2329 model, giving up LaiArnold2017 model or other way to solve this problem?
It seems that the generic models that OpenSim provides and other models that user provides exclusively or merely for walking and slow-speed running and that task-specific models should be developed for large-ROM motions.
Any advice is appreciated!

Hae Dong Lee

Post by Hae Dong Lee » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:13 pm

I have not had any responses from the moderators or users yet! :cry:
I would be greatly appreciated if any moderator or user provide the information regarding my concern!

jimmy d

Post by jimmy d » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:37 am

I do not think I could simply increase the ROM in the model because it would provide invalid values in muscle-involved analyses (e.g. CMC).
How do you know that? You would actually have to test it before you knew that.
Should I choose another model or modify the model that I am using? Unfortunately, I am not such an expert who are easily able to modify and validate the model.
Unfortunately, modifying and validating a model is exactly what you have to do when you are trying to answer research questions.

Resources that may be useful to you are here and here