Any progress towards using Kistler plates with OpenSim?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Madeleine Bates

Any progress towards using Kistler plates with OpenSim?

Post by Madeleine Bates » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 am

Hi

I'm exploring the impact of weight loss surgery on walking gait and want to analyse knee contact forces. All my data has been collected with Kistler plates. I have read that the OpenSim C3D File Converter isn't compatible with Kistler, but I was wondering if any progress have been made, or if anyone had found a way around this? Many thanks.

Tags:

Jasvir Bahl

Re: Any progress towards using Kistler plates with OpenSim?

Post by Jasvir Bahl » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi Madeleine, why not use MOtoNMS to convert your C3D files to Osim formats? It is compatible with Kistler FPs and the code can be tweaked to make the process more automated.

MOtoNMS is flexible but can be tedious if you have lots of gait data. How many trials do you/will you have?

Cheers
Jas

Madeleine Bates

Post by Madeleine Bates » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:43 am

bahjs001 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Hi Madeleine, why not use MOtoNMS to convert your C3D files to Osim formats? It is compatible with Kistler FPs and the code can be tweaked to make the process more automated.

MOtoNMS is flexible but can be tedious if you have lots of gait data. How many trials do you/will you have?

Cheers
Jas
Hi Jas

Thanks so much for your reply. I actually came across MOtoNMS yesterday and will check it out. I will have around 1000 trials in total.

Best wishes
Madeleine

jimmy d

Post by jimmy d » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:11 pm

read that the OpenSim C3D File Converter isn't compatible with Kistler,
In OpenSim, we use BTK to do the data conversion, but we do testing on our side to make sure the COP (and some other values) are correct. This is particularly important since BTK is no longer supported by the original developer. We don't support Kistler plates because we don't have C3Ds that have Kistler Forceplate data in them, so we (the OpenSim team) can't guarantee that the outputs are correct. If you would be willing to share some Kistler plate C3Ds with us-- particularly if you have force plate calibration trials-- then we could use them to test and verify that the correct calculations are being done? If you would be willing, please message me privately.

-James

PS MOtoNMS also uses BTK.