Bones are visualized in OpenSim distordely

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Olesya Klets

Bones are visualized in OpenSim distordely

Post by Olesya Klets » Fri May 08, 2020 4:56 am

Hello!

I added my .stl files for two femurs to OpenSim model gait2392 and these bones sometimes are invisible and I need to uninstall and install again OpenSim to make them visible.

Another issue is that these subject-specific bones look distorted in OpenSim (see the screenshots attached).

Also, when I check the model tree in Navigator for bones that are subject-specific, the new files appears "femur_r_geom_frame" and under that "femur_r_geom". Could you please explain why it happens and how it affects the model?

I will attach here the screenshots.

Thank you in advance for help,
Olesya
Attachments
screen2.JPG
screen2.JPG (60.79 KiB) Viewed 168 times
screen1.JPG
screen1.JPG (29.82 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Tags:

Ayman Habib

Re: Bones are visualized in OpenSim distordely

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri May 08, 2020 8:22 am

Hello,

The likely reason the meshes look this way is that the meshes have some flipped/misaligned normals or issues with the topology (not connected). I'd suggest you use Meshlab to troubleshoot/fix the issue or otherwise fix the issue before the stl file(s) are created.

As of version 4.0, mesh geometry is not always attached directly to a Body but rather to a Frame that is affixed to the Body and thus can be moved. If there was an offset between the mesh and the Body in a pre-4.0 osim file, the offset is converted to a Frame when reading/upgrading old files. This is not a problem that you need to worry about or fix, just more flexibility offered by the upgrade to 4.0+.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman