Muscle Activation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Sabrina Amrein

Muscle Activation

Post by Sabrina Amrein » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:53 am

Hi,

I've got a question regarding muscle activation:
I performed inverse dynamics, getting reasonable values. So, I took the next step and ran static optimization. Again, the calculated forces look reasonable. However, when compared to EMG, the overall activation pattern does not match. Specifically, static optimization performs wheelchair propulsion without deltoid activation , while EMG shows distinct deltoid activation. I can imagine that wheelchair propulsion doesn't strictly require deltoid activation and Static Optimization finds a way to calculate the motion without activating deltoid. However, I would like to match muscle activation to what was measured with EMG. Is there a possibility to modify muscle acitvation in such a way that it can be used as input for Joint Reaction Analysis?

Many thanks!

Tags:

Nicos Haralabidis

Re: Muscle Activation

Post by Nicos Haralabidis » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:13 pm

Hello Sabrina,

Are you also using reserve actuators at the shoulder joint? If so you should check their influence, as they might be very 'cheap' to the optimiser to use and are therefore been used as opposed to activating the deltoid muscle. If you are using them perhaps lower their optimal force and see what influence that has?

Hope that helps!

Nicos

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:52 am

If lowering the actuator's contribution doesn't do the trick, you can always develop an API which considers EMG. For a shameless plug, please see the attached abstract introducing our implementation of Cholewicki's EMG optimization method with opensim + Matlab (we are in the process of submitting a manuscript). Otherwise, the Griffith group's CEINMS toolbox is perhaps a more established and accessible approach (https://simtk.org/projects/ceinms).
Attachments
Banks_2019_TGCS.pdf
(240.21 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Sabrina Amrein

Post by Sabrina Amrein » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:43 am

Thank you both! My reserve actuators have already low optimal force values... I'll have a look at your suggestions, Jacob, thanks.

Yixin Shen

Post by Yixin Shen » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:05 pm

I have met similar problem. Have you solve it?