tool execution failed or cancelled by user. output files were not written.

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Sreejan Alapati

tool execution failed or cancelled by user. output files were not written.

Post by Sreejan Alapati » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:38 am

I have added an object at the palm of the "arm26.osim" using Notepad++. Then I tried to run the CMC simulation with the predefined motion files and control files that one get with the installation. However, the simulation which worked with the same files for the original "arm26.osim" file, now fails to generate output for the one that I have added the object. An error message saying "tool execution failed or cancelled by the user. output files were not written" is popped up.
I am a beginner to this software. so please let me know what is/might causing the error and what might be the solution.

Tags:

Thomas Uchida

Re: tool execution failed or cancelled by user. output files were not written.

Post by Thomas Uchida » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 am

It depends what you are trying to add to the model, but Notepad++ is generally not the best strategy. Please see the "Scripting and Development" section of the documentation (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... evelopment) for information on how add bodies to models. If you are just trying to model a mass in the hand, you might instead just increase the mass of the hand itself. This would be much simpler- see the "Property Editor and Outputs List" page in the documentation (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... tputs+List).

Sreejan Alapati

Post by Sreejan Alapati » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.
What I am planning to do with this software is to simulate an exoskeleton. So I would need to add my custom designed object (exoskeleton) to the environment. Should I add a CAD model of the exoskeleton? or Is there any other way? Please let me know the right approach for me?

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 am

Hello,

Thanks for describing your plan for using OpenSim. Basically you will need to model your exoskeleton in OpenSim using its own abstractions (Bodies, Joints, Constraints, Actuators, Controllers, etc.). CAD systems typically allow you to model geometry in great details but geometry is used in OpenSim exclusively for visualization. The geometry can be imported as mesh files but any other "modeling" can not be imported into OpenSim. It's a choice you need to make regarding the level of details you want to model the exoskeleton.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Sreejan Alapati

Post by Sreejan Alapati » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks Habib.
I hope you are describing this tutorial: (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... el+Editing) when you say its own abstractions.
I have followed it and imported a test object as ".stl" and edited its properties like weight and moment of inertia. The file does open and shows me the object I have added, but I cannot run any simulations to it. The previously mentioned (subject matter) error is generated.
Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.