Explorer very slow

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Pagnon David

Explorer very slow

Post by Pagnon David » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:34 am

Hello,

The explorer in OpenSim is extremely slow on my computer. It takes minutes before I can open any file, which is quite annoying.
Note that it is completely fine on an other (less powerful) computer I sometimes use.

Has anyone experienced it? And even better, found a solution?
Thanks!

Colin Smith

Re: Explorer very slow

Post by Colin Smith » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:20 pm

Are you loading the same files on both computers?

Is the file saved locally? If the file is large (ie geometry files in .osim or .sto files with lots of results) and on a network drive, it can take a long time to load.

DaeHo Lee

Post by DaeHo Lee » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:02 am

clnsmith wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:20 pm
Are you loading the same files on both computers?

Is the file saved locally? If the file is large (ie geometry files in .osim or .sto files with lots of results) and on a network drive, it can take a long time to load.
I am having exactly the same problem.
The Opensim 4.3 is installed locally. Every step(moving a single directory in and out of any folder, choosing a file, etc.) within the explorer takes at least 10 seconds to execute which is quite annoying. Also, there is no way I can just copy and paste the directory directly to reduce the number of steps I have to take.
The computing power of my laptop could be one of the most unlikely sources of this problem. It has Ryzen 9 5900HS, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX3080(I don't think the GPU matters, though), with Windows 10 64-bit installed.
I suspect it is due to some compatibility issues but have no clue on how to solve the problem.

It would be really grateful if someone could guide me on how to resolve this issue.

Adam Yoder

Post by Adam Yoder » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:11 pm

Were either of you able to resolve this issue. Experiencing the same with OpenSim v4.4 GUI (and 4.3). Notably I did not have the lag for the first several weeks of use, started without any apparent cause

To be clear, it is the Explorer dialog popup for file navigation, and moving between folders, which lags about ~15 seconds between each click. The issue is not with loading of model files, per se, where time delay after clicking Open depends on model complexity, which is to be expected

Steps I have tried:
1) Uninstall/Reinstall
2) Deleting cache here: C:\Users\${USER}\.OpenSim\${VERSION}
3) Using OpenSim v4.4 on a different laptop, same specs --> works without lag
3) Using OpenSim v3.3, on same laptop/user. --> works without lag
4) Delete JxBrowser dmp files. Through a system sweep found many GB of data in this folder, and found this affiliated git issue. Didn't resolve though. https://github.com/opensim-org/opensim-gui/issues/855

Laptop config:
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11850H @ 2.50GHz, 32GB RAM
Dell Precision 5560
Windows 10

Kaitlin Lostroscio

Post by Kaitlin Lostroscio » Mon May 15, 2023 7:16 am

The GUI file navigation lag issue has persisted for our team, across several laptops, with OpenSim v4.3 as well.

Has a solution been found, or cause(s) further identified?

(Drag & drop from Windows File Explorer to Coordinates tab has been an alternative in the meantime to open models/load motion)

Jonathan Mortensen

Post by Jonathan Mortensen » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:37 am

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I have had something similar going on. For the last year or so this issue would only happen when I logged on to my company's VPN while working remotely. Whenever I was in the office, the issue would go away. The last few days the slow GUI file navigation has begun occurring while in the office as well. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this?