any suggestion on recruiting muscle synergies using OpenSim API

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
hesam boroomand

any suggestion on recruiting muscle synergies using OpenSim API

Post by hesam boroomand » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:40 am

Hello
I am trying to recruit muscle synergies in order to control a musculoskeletal model. My goal is to use muscle weights of synergies to reduce the number of control variables. For doing this, I want to define muscle excitations as dependent control variables on muscle synergies and their activations. In other words, I want to remove muscles from control variables (muscle excitations are considered as control variables in OpenSim API by default) and add muscle activations as new control variables. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to change muscle classes and define new actuators (synergies activation) for this purpose?

Tags:

Thomas Uchida

Re: any suggestion on recruiting muscle synergies using OpenSim API

Post by Thomas Uchida » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:55 am

There are a few projects on SimTK that provide implementations of synergy-based control strategies. See, for example
- "Synergy Optimization: A plug-in to couple muscle activity in OpenSim" (https://simtk.org/projects/synergy)
- "Synergy Optimization" (https://simtk.org/projects/syno)

hesam boroomand

Re: any suggestion on recruiting muscle synergies using OpenSim API

Post by hesam boroomand » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:21 am

Dear Thomas
Thank you so much for your replying. I have read one of these papers. Also, I have seen the webinar related to another research you have mentioned. I have a question. Do you think is it possible to remove muscle excitations from control variables and define them dependent on muscle synergies and their coefficients. In this case, synergies coefficients must be our new control variables.