Error during scaling. Step 3: placing marker on the model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Giulia Cernivani

Error during scaling. Step 3: placing marker on the model

Post by Giulia Cernivani » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:46 pm

Good morning,
I have created a new model and a new .xml file to perform the scaling, taking as reference the ones given. The .xml file is loaded correctly and the scale factors are computed but the execution suddendly stops.
The following error occures:
Step 3: Placing markers on model
and the "execution scaling" never stops.
Can you please help me with this problem?
Thank you very much
Giulia

Emma Pratt

Re: Error during scaling. Step 3: placing marker on the model

Post by Emma Pratt » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:36 am

Hi Giulia,

I am also having this problem - did you ever resolve? I'm new to OpenSim but been through all guides, tutorials, and this forum, and can't seem to find the answer.

I'm using a modified gait2392 model and a marker set from our clinical lab. Prior to the scaling tool getting stuck, all scaling factors are calculated and a scaled .osim model for the subject is created that I could potentially use. However I presume as it is stuck at 'Step 3: placing markers on the model', no information is being output with regards to marker error (RMS or max), hence I am reluctant to use. When I do load the scaled.osim model, I can preview the experimental markers and try to overlay them on the scaled model, but not very accurately, and with no information about actual error of each marker.

Any help would be gratefully received. I've attached a screenshot of the issue in case this is helpful.

Thanks, Emma
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (417.84 KiB) Viewed 307 times

Ayman Habib

Re: Error during scaling. Step 3: placing marker on the model

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi Giulia,

It's hard to guess based on this image what could be wrong but my guess is that this has to do with the file system/Paths (maybe referring to a folder that doesn't exist, or very long path or a path with spaces/special-characters/permissions etc.) There are a couple steps to troubleshoot this issue:
1. Break scaling into two phases: First pure scaling (without marker placement), second, a marker placement step to move the markers. There's one checkbox to enable/disable the marker placement and you can toggle it. Since each phase has fewer knobs it will be easier to identify what went wrong. I'd check the corresponding xml file blocks.
2. If this is a path issue, it may help to try to place all the files in one folder, try to run from that folder and if that works go back and find out what folders/paths are problematic.
3. The tools can be executed from the command line, so you can save the file in the GUI and use command line to run, since this has less hoops to deal with in terms of file paths or permissions you'll hopefully get better diagnostics or error messages.

Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes,
-Ayman