Help - Using EMG data to create simulation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Zhen Xiao

Help - Using EMG data to create simulation

Post by Zhen Xiao » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:46 am

Hi,all

Currently, I am trying to create a motion simulation of a wrist model by feeding the EMG data, but I am not quite sure which is the right way to start and I have a few questions regarding to that.

1. Is the OpenSim the right tool for this kind of project? Or is there any alternative tool?

2. If it is the right tool, what will be the general steps?

3. I have gone through the tutorial provided here, it seem the forward dynamic maybe the one to use. But how can I feed the EMG data to activate each muscle?

Thanks all

Anne Schmitz

RE: Help - Using EMG data to create simulation

Post by Anne Schmitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Zhen,

I think you can do this. I am interested in also doing this but for the lower extremity. I think you want to create a forward dynamic simulation. If you've done the tutorials, you should have an example file of what excitations come out of computed muscle control. I would use this file as a template to copy and paste your EMG data into.

Anne

Anne Schmitz

Post by Anne Schmitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:38 am

There is also another thread on this in the forum.

Anne Schmitz

Post by Anne Schmitz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello,

So, I understand that you can use EMG data. However, just given EMG data, how can I use OpenSim to calculate initial states (like muscle fiber lengths)?

Thanks,

Anne

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Anne,

As of now you'd have to either pick a frame from a states file that you'd want to use as initial states, and copy it to an initial states file or just create one by hand.

-Ayman