Scaling - bone segments do not respect markers positions in foot

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Carolina Silva

Scaling - bone segments do not respect markers positions in foot

Post by Carolina Silva » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

I'm encountering an issue with the scaling process, particularly with the movement of foot segments relative to the markers. During scaling, the calcaneus marker moves upward to match locations in my .trc marker file, indicating a change in anthropometry, where the calcaneus is not totally in touch with the ground. However, the corresponding bone segment remains in the floor. It seems that the scaling process isn't accurately translating marker movements to bone positions. If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has insights into resolving this discrepancy, I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you!

Tags:

Carmichael Ong

Re: Scaling - bone segments do not respect markers positions in foot

Post by Carmichael Ong » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 pm

If you haven't seen it already, the Webinar on Tips and Tricks for Data Collection, Scaling, and Inverse Kinematics could be helpful to review.

The documentation for Scaling is also helpful, and in particular, this section on Marker Placement has a note about "fixed" markers. It sounds like you may want to change some of your markers to "fixed" for your study.