Apply muscle model to existing model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Aaron Gonzalez

Apply muscle model to existing model

Post by Aaron Gonzalez » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:09 pm

Hello, I'm new to OpenSim and have a few questions. I used OpenCap to generate a model doing a specific upper body activity, I loaded the .osim file into OpenSim as well as it's corresponding .mot file. The only issue is that the current model I have only has lower body muscles on its skeleton. I need to add arm and shoulder muscles to this model, I have found some available here and wish to apply them to my current model, how do I do this? I need this done in order to further complete analysis for a project. Would I need to edit the .osim file in a text editor to add these? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Carmichael Ong

Re: Apply muscle model to existing model

Post by Carmichael Ong » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 pm

It is often best to use the simplest model possible that answers your specific research question, so often models will have only lower-limb or upper-limb components. It can be good to see if that is true for your research question as well, and then you will be able to use the model within the conditions in which its been tested, rather then using it outside of its validated range.

If further edits are necessary, the documentation on OpenSim Models and Model Editing will be helpful.

Telio Gottardi

Re: Apply muscle model to existing model

Post by Telio Gottardi » Wed May 15, 2024 2:39 am

Hello Aaron, I have the exact same issue. I downloaded pre-existent full body model but couldn't figure it out how to properly import opencap motion. When I load the file, the model move but doesn't follow the imported motion (I use Adjusted_ULBmodel). Did you find a way to do so ?