Runtime Error

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
joana baptista

Runtime Error

Post by joana baptista » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:10 am

Hi

I'm getting this error when I try to start OpenSim:

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\OpenSim2.2.1\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe

This aplplication has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Can anyone explain me how to solve this problem?
Joana

Alex Landauer

RE: Runtime Error

Post by Alex Landauer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:15 am

I have often received an identical message when attempting to run the tools (i.e. IK, ID, etc.). I cannot help you solve the issue, although I would suggest that you say something about the specific machine that you are receiving the error on. I've been getting this error message under Windows 7 x64 SP1 with Java 6 SE build 1.6.0_24-b07, under miscellaneous conditions, but usually when try to start a tool.

Paulo Melo

Post by Paulo Melo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I am also getting that same error whenever I try to run the RRA algorith. Last time it was at 20% when I had the error. I'm running OpenSim on Win7 x86 Laptop. My Java version is Java SE 6 Update 23. I'm gonna update it and run it again.

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi all,

Although the error message may suggest an issue with Java, that's actually not true for the following reasons:
1. The distribution of OpenSim contains a JRE that it uses so it doesn't matter what version of JAVA is installed on your machine.
2. In theory you could use the GUI to create setup files and then invoke the OpenSim API using your own programs or utility programs provided with the distribution to execute all the tools (all in C++).

You may try to turn on a higher level debugging functionality in the GUI (set Edit->preferences->Debug to 3) to get more informative error diagnostics and let us know how it goes.

Good luck,
-Ayman

joana baptista

Post by joana baptista » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:19 pm

But if I cannot access OpenSim GUI how do I change that?

Joana

Matthias Kunze

Post by Matthias Kunze » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 am

Hi Joana,

sounds like you're using Win7, am I right?
There're some changes in the "opensim.conf" you have to do. Download the pdf below and follow the instructions:

https://simtk.org/frs/download.php?file_id=2291

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Matthias

joana baptista

Post by joana baptista » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 am

I'm using windows vista and the version of OpenSim that I'm using is OpenSim2.2.1.

Do you think that still the problem can be solved by those changes?

Thank You

Joana

Matthias Kunze

Post by Matthias Kunze » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:42 am

Yes, I think so.
Look at point "Some things to be aware of"... There WinVista is mentioned... because of the Program Files directory (C:\Program Files) and the problems with an 64bit computer... So you have to follow all the steps. I did it on every system and every thing is fine.

Do you use English(USA/UK) as your system language?

If not you have to run the OpenSim application only in English mode. When you look under the /etc directory of the OpenSim installation, there is a file called "opensim.conf".
Inside is a line that starts with "default_options=". If you add the following at the end (inside the quotations "")
-J-Duser.language=en

OpenSim will start up with the English locale no matter what your system locale is and everything
works fine without the need to change the system at all.

Cheers,

Matthias

joana baptista

Post by joana baptista » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:51 am

I did exactly what you told me and follow the pdf instructions and now, instead of giving me the error when trying to start, it simply closes the program. :|

Matthias Kunze

Post by Matthias Kunze » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 am

If your installation procedure failed and you plan to arrange OpenSim on your operating system again, please be sure that your system is innocent/virgin.
To be on the safe side follow the next steps for building an untouched system.
DELETE...
… the folder “.opensim” (work directory, in “C:\User\$Username$\ Documents\...”)
… entries in the registry regarding your preferences.
Launch “regedit“ in Your explorer command line and switch to the default path
KEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/org/opensim)
Then install it again with the steps in the PDF documentation. Then it should run!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Matthias