Running OpenSim 3.0 on Linux

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Günter Schneider

Running OpenSim 3.0 on Linux

Post by Günter Schneider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 am

Hi,

as you recommended I do now my simulation with the gait2392 model. It works, quite good. Because simulation time is long (about 1,5 - 2 hours), and the PC I simulate on is not the fastes/newest I tried to simulate on the server of our Institute.
I installed OpenSim 3.0 (for Linux) on it and tried to start some simulations but I got the following message when I run ID or CMC:

Code: Select all

../../bin/id: symbol lookup error: /home/gschneider/work/opensim30/lib/libSimTKlapack.so: undefined symbol: _gfortran_copy_string
I searched the forum for something similar, but didn´t found anything!
So what can I do, or what do I have to do to run simulations on the server?

thanks & best regards

günter

Michael Sherman

Re: OpenSim crash during CMC

Post by Michael Sherman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi, Günter.

A few questions:
- Did you download the Linux binary or build from source?
- What version of Linux is running on your server?

It is hard to make Linux binaries that can work on any Linux machine. In this case the problem appears to be the use of libSimTKlapack rather than the native lapack on your server machine. If you can build Simbody and OpenSim from source instead, make sure that LAPACK_BEING_USED in CMake shows as "lapack;blas". If it doesn't, then you can change it in CMake using BUILD_USING_OTHER_LAPACK.

You will also need to make sure that the server actually does have lapack and blas libraries (look in /usr/lib) and if not you'll need to install those first.

Regards,
Sherm

Günter Schneider

Post by Günter Schneider » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:58 am

Hi,

thanks for your quick response. Here are the answers of your questions:
Did you download the Linux binary or build from source?
I downloaded the Linux binary.
What version of Linux is running on your server?
Ubuntu 12.04, Linux 3.2.0-32

To be honerst I´m new at Linux, so I have to talk to the admin about your lines!

EDIT: He (the admin) asked me If there is that library available to fix that? Or is the way with the source code the only chance to run OpenSim on the server?

THANK YOU, kind regards
Günter

Kevin Xu

Post by Kevin Xu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 am

Hi, Günter,

Attaching is the library file I suspect that's missing for your Linux . If you can unzip the attachment and add the file to the lib directory in your OpenSim binary and see if this solves the problem on Linux it'll be great. If you are looking to build OpenSim on Linux from source feel free to refer to our Confluence page at http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:80 ... inux+Build

Thanks,
Kevin
Attachments
libgfortran.so.1.zip
(180.22 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Günter Schneider

Re: Running OpenSim 3.0 on Linux

Post by Günter Schneider » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 am

kevinxu wrote:Hi, Günter,

Attaching is the library file I suspect that's missing for your Linux . If you can unzip the attachment and add the file to the lib directory in your OpenSim binary and see if this solves the problem on Linux it'll be great. If you are looking to build OpenSim on Linux from source feel free to refer to our Confluence page at http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:80 ... inux+Build

Thanks,
Kevin
PERFECT, THANKS A LOT

... now OpenSim 3.0 runs on the server ;)

günter