Error: version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Neelma Mumtaz

Error: version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

Post by Neelma Mumtaz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:36 am

Dear all,

I have tried to install opensim and while installing I get this error message : "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine." , I have googled this issue online , ran many compatibility modes in windows 8.1 but still the same issue.

I would really appreciate if someone could guide me in this regard. Thanks in advance :)

Ayman Habib

Re: Error: version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributa

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Neelma,

The warning regarding more recent version of redistributable is fairly benign and many users have had them and then continued to work smoothly. Windows 8.1, however seems to have broken some compatibility with runtime libraries used by old versions. We haven't tested on all possible modes of Windows 8.1 so please send out what you tried and hopefully we can reproduce and help you fix the problem. I've seen a similar problem on one machine where a user was trying to run the 64 bit distribution and the problem went away when he switched to the 32 bit distribution, is that an option you can try?

Thanks,
-Ayman

Neelma Mumtaz

Post by Neelma Mumtaz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello Mr. Ayman Habib,

Thank you so much for the last suggestion I was just trying to make 64-bit version run on my laptop. Your suggestion of giving the 34 bit version a try helped and now I am able to run the demo model. :D Thanks alot!

Regarding the 64 bit version, I did continue with the installation but when I run the software and try to open a model, it would try but never load anything and just stay in that infinite loop of trying to load.

P.S. Thanks alot for this OpenSim Project :)

Friedl De Groote

Post by Friedl De Groote » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:15 am

I have a similar error upon installation of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (Please resolve the following: A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.) because I have Visual Studio 2012 installed on my computer (Windows 7). I, however, want to keep my Visual Studio 2012 installation.

The GUI of OpenSim's 3.2 32 bit version works fine but I need the 64 bit version to be compatible with matlab. I ignored the installation error - as suggested on the forum - but that does not do the job. I get 'Error: Required library failed to load. Check that the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your path ...' when I call OpenSim from Matlab. (C:\OpenSim 3.2\bin is in my path.)

I hoped the issue would be solved by also installing Visual Studio 2010 (Express) but that does not work.

Is there a solution for this issue without uninstalling Visual Studio 2012?

Many thanks.

Friedl

Brad Humphreys

Post by Brad Humphreys » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:10 am

Friedl,

Not sure if this helps you as it requires a re-install of VS 2010:

To get 64bit VS compiles (but on windows 7), I had to install the windows SDK. It is needed to get the 64bit compiler for VS 2010 Express. The SDK corrupts VS somewhow. I re-installed according to this post and it seems to work:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/ ... ws-sdk-7-1

Not sure if your problem is related, but I thought I would pass it along.

Regards,

Brad

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Friedl,

VS 2012 with patches is practically VS2013, I'd try to use the 64 bit installer built with VS 2013 and it should work. Please try that out and let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Friedl De Groote

Post by Friedl De Groote » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:38 am

Dear Ayman

Thanks for your suggestion but I still run into problems.

When I install the VS 2013 version (OpenSim-3.2.0-win64VC13P), the problem with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is solved. During the installation I get a warning 'PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH'. I added C:\OpenSim 3.2\bin\ manually to my PATH. I also did the Matlab setup as described on the support site.

But both when opening the OpenSim GUI and when trying to call OpenSim from matlab I get the error: 'Required library failed to load. Check that the dynamic library osimJavaJNI is in your PATH java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\OpenSim 3.2\bin\osimJavaJNI.dll: Can't find dependent libraries.

No idea what to try next.

Regards

Friedl

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi Friedl,

Few things come to mind to check:
1. On Windows there're two environments one for User variables, the other for System variables. Please make sure there are no conflicts regarding the PATH. You can check your effective path but opening a new command windows and typing "Path" and then you can make sure the pathto the latest version of OpenSim that you need appears first. Path setting however is not necessary to run the GUI, only if you're using the API and running from Matlab.
2. It has been reported by some users that they needed to run as admin, which you can easily do by right-mouse click on the application icon and "run as administrator".
3. The more likely cause would be that your Windows system is not updated with the latest patches. Use windows update to make your system up-to-date. Basically on windows the runtime libraries assume some version of Windows and if that assumption is wrong due to missing patches then you'd run into this problem.

Please let me know what you find out,
-Ayman

Friedl De Groote

Post by Friedl De Groote » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:55 am

Dear Ayman

1. I checked my path through the command line and it is fine.

2. Running OpenSim as administrator does not solve the issue.

3. I installed Windows updates and reinstalled OpenSim. I still get the same error.

Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Friedl

B.J. Fregly

Post by B.J. Fregly » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Just tried putting C:\OpenSim 3.2\bin at the start of the Path environment variable (this folder was already in the Path environment variable, but far down on the list), and Voila! OpenSim now works without giving the osimJavaJNI.dll error. Not sure why putting this directory at the start of the Path made things work, but Friedl is now up and running :) .