Kinect as input for model/motion

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
David Pérez

Kinect as input for model/motion

Post by David Pérez » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 am

Hello.

I am working with OpenSIM and i was wondering what do i require to create a .MOV file for motion? Because i am getting XYZ joint data from another input (Microsoft Kinect) but i dont really know how to create the file in order to use it on an OpenSIM model.

Thanks!

jimmy d

Re: Kinect as input for model/motion

Post by jimmy d » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi David,

A description of the .mot file format for joint angles can be found here;
http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:80 ... t%29+Files

There are also numerous examples found in the OpenSim distribution.

The output from your sensors will have to give joint angles that match those of an OpenSim model. In other words, you will have to correct for differences in the body/joint frames between the software you use for the kinect and OpenSim.

hope that helps,
-james

Agnieszka Korcz

Post by Agnieszka Korcz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:16 am

Hi everyonne !

Can anyone tell me from where can I take the data informations' Kinect ? Where the are in Kinect ? or what I should do to get them. I am beginner..I know how use the OpenSim with Kinect but I don't know where this needed data informations are. Please, help !

Daniel Krueger

Post by Daniel Krueger » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:57 am

Hello Everyone,
we created a software to record motion sequences to opensim using the kinect device. It is not as easy as one might think. Since the KINECT SDK only gives you the spatial orientations of limbs as a rotation matrix, you have to determine the joint angles by decomposing this matrix into a sequence of EULER rotations. The correct sequence depends on your model! An universal approach is to record only the joint positions into a *.trc file and use the inverse kinematics tool to generate a mot file.
We have a paper written in German that explains further details.
A good starting point for Kinect programming is the official guide of the MS Kinect SDK.
Best regards,
Daniel

Michael Sherman

Post by Michael Sherman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:35 am

FYI, the SimTK::Rotation class that is accessible from OpenSim's API provides a method for converting a rotation matrix into any Euler angle sequence (once you've figured out which one you want!).

Sherm