Questions on modelling

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Alex Priamikov

Questions on modelling

Post by Alex Priamikov » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:30 am

Good day,

I've got a few questions on modelling.
So the first one: is it possible to attach muscle to wrap body, so to say be able to move it via contraction of the muscle.
Second, do you support elasticity of wrap bodies, so when a muscle go through a wrap thorus, could it's contraction change the thorus shape a bit and in following change the muscle path itself.
And the last question, how to model an event, when two muscles cross each other, that means that these muscles aren't able to move beyond this crossing point (in principle I implemented a solution with "via point" muscles paths for these muscle, but is there any general ability to do this?).

Best regards,
Alex Priamikov

Michael Sherman

Re: Questions on modelling

Post by Michael Sherman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am

Hi, Alex.

I have a partial answer to your questions: wrap objects are rigid, massless shape descriptions so they cannot deform. But they can be attached to bodies that move. So although the wrap objects won't change shape, you can introduce a new body that will deflect in response to forces applied to a wrap object attached to the body. For example, you could split a body and connect the two pieces by a bushing with stiffness and damping properties. A wrap object attached to one of the pieces will cause it to move with respect to the other piece by loading the bushing. I suspect that you could get much of the effect you want this way.

Regards,
Sherm