From CT-volume to 3D-model?!?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Thomas Bonfert

From CT-volume to 3D-model?!?

Post by Thomas Bonfert » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:17 am

Can anyone help me with my actual problem, please:

I have a CT-Volume and want to bring back a bone fracture into alignment virtually. So I think I have to segment the data. Afterwards I need a tool (like Photoshop) to move the two parts in their correct position (rotate / translate interactively). And what tool do I need to bring the CT-bones in a 3D-model (like in CAD)? The aim of this project is to have a functional simulation of the CT bones at the end. I have experience in image processing, but never had to do with 3d-modelling…

Thanks, Thomas

:|

Nithin Kurup

Re: From CT-volume to 3D-model?!?

Post by Nithin Kurup » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi,

I believe there are couple of softwares which helps to create 3D models from CT slices such as Mimics ( need licence) or http://www.simpleware.com/ ( I think they have a trial version) or Matlab ? Once you create your 3D model ( surface and volumetric mesh) you can save it into a common .STL format, which could later be converted into .VTP ( using Paraview or similar ) for use in Opensim. Then in Opensim you can make custom joints and then add the geometry file ( your bones) by editing the xml files where you can rotate the model etc.

I may be completely wrong here.. but hope it will provide you with some idea and do look into other users suggestions.

All the best,

Nithin

3d tech

Re: From CT-volume to 3D-model?!?

Post by 3d tech » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:45 pm

CTs and MRIs are often composed of hundreds of images. I have worked in hospitals doing clinical rotations and have some ability to read what I see. It's the compilation of those hundreds of images that make it possible to get a good 3D "all around" image. They are done a layer at a time sometimes in millimeters per layer, and it is necessary to have a good background in anatomy to know what you are looking at. With Invasalius you can move through each layer but if you don't know what a pituitary gland looks like you'll miss it. If you can find a "Visible Brain" or Visible Skull or Visible man or woman at a hobby store it will give you a better feel for what you are looking at. If that seems like a childish idea it really isn't. Also check out an anatomy book, specifically Tortora and Anagnostacos Anatomy and Phsiology. The pics are wonderful. There may be a better book but that is the one that got me through A&P.

visit : 3d printing service rajkot jaipur kolkata gujarat india