OpenSim 3.3 JVM startup error

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Sarah Taylor

OpenSim 3.3 JVM startup error

Post by Sarah Taylor » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:53 am

Hi,

I have installed OpenSim 3.3 on several windows xp computers we have here and on attempting to start OpenSim I get the following error 'JVM creation failed' - the software then doesnt start.

Could anyone advise on a way around this?

Thanks

Sarah

Xianwei ZENG

Re: OpenSim 3.3 JVM startup error

Post by Xianwei ZENG » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:47 am

Same error on win 10

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi,

We've seen this error particularly when trying to run 32 bit distribution on 64 bit machines due to memory management issues of the JVM. The solution(s) are:
1. If on 64 bit machine, better use the 64 bit distribution.
2. If you need to run the 32 bit distribution on 64 bit machine (for Matlab or any other reason), please close a few other applications as the JVM needs a large contiguous block of memory to start. Having many processes running even if the physical memory is huge can cause the memory to fragment and the JVM to fail to start.
3. There're options to customize memory management of the JVM but these are hard to tune though you can look them up and modify the settings in the .conf file as needed.

Hope this helps,
-Ayman

Sarah Taylor

Post by Sarah Taylor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:18 am

Hi Ayman,

I am installing the 32 bit version on a 32 bit machine so that isnt the issue. No other applications were open but I guess there may have been processes running in the background limiting the memory.

At some point I will attempt your option 3 and see if I can solve the problem.

For now I have installed OpenSim 3.2 which seems to be working fine.

Thank you for your help!

Sarah

Jakob Welner

Post by Jakob Welner » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:20 am

Hi,

I had the same issue running Windows 7 64bit where I'm using 32bit OpenSim for Virtual Studio and Matlab coherence.

I solved it (so far) by installing 64bit JVM and editing the ../etc/opensim.conf to point at the 64bit jvm as seen is this snippet from line 10:

Code: Select all

# default location of JDK/JRE, can be overridden by using --jdkhome <dir> switch
#jdkhome="jdk"
jdkhome = "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin"
So far it looks like it's working.

I'm afraid that this solution does not apply for your case, when you are running x32 OS but I wanted to post it in case others could find it useful.
However, regarding Ayman's 3. alternative, I found this page that gives a little more info and shows you how to try it out.
https://code.google.com/p/osm2garmin/wi ... ge_JVM_cre

Hoa Hoang

Post by Hoa Hoang » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:25 pm

If you are still having problems with the JVM startup error, try starting OpenSim with less heap space. You can do this by modifying the options when starting OpenSim.

Can use any text editor to modify opensim.conf (probably located at C:\OpenSim 3.3\etc\opensim.conf)
original:
default_options="--branding opensim -J-Xms24m -J-Xmx1024m -J-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -J-Dsun.java2d.gdiblit=false -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Duser.language=en"

example modification:
default_options="--branding opensim -J-Xms24m -J-Xmx512m -J-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -J-Dsun.java2d.gdiblit=false -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Duser.language=en"

Lowering the heap space may cause problems later if OpenSim needs more memory, but I haven't had any issues yet.

dan german

Post by dan german » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:05 pm

thank you very much Hoa. your suggestion worked for me.
fyi, i am running opensim on 32bit xp with 1G ram.

pulung aji

Post by pulung aji » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:34 am

hxhoang wrote:If you are still having problems with the JVM startup error, try starting OpenSim with less heap space. You can do this by modifying the options when starting OpenSim.

Can use any text editor to modify opensim.conf (probably located at C:\OpenSim 3.3\etc\opensim.conf)
original:
default_options="--branding opensim -J-Xms24m -J-Xmx1024m -J-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -J-Dsun.java2d.gdiblit=false -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Duser.language=en"

example modification:
default_options="--branding opensim -J-Xms24m -J-Xmx512m -J-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -J-Dsun.java2d.gdiblit=false -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-Duser.language=en"

Lowering the heap space may cause problems later if OpenSim needs more memory, but I haven't had any issues yet.

this is work in Windows 7 32 bit

masume hessam

Post by masume hessam » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 am

Hi
I installing opensim 3.2 (23 bit) on windows 7 (32 bit). the installation process was successful. but when i run the program, the JVM creation error was appeared.
what should i do now???

Poramet Hemarachatanon

Post by Poramet Hemarachatanon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks for pulung aji /" hxhoang wrote: " that for your suggestion. JVM startup error.