Scale tool failing in OpenSIM 3.3

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Stefanie Gassel

Scale tool failing in OpenSIM 3.3

Post by Stefanie Gassel » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:53 am

Hey there,

I'm hoping for your help with the following problem:
I only just installed OpenSim 3.3. Yet unfortunately the scaling just doesn't work for me.

I went through the very basic Example (Tutorial 3, gaitModel_2354), opening the model, bringing up the scale tool dialog, loading the scale_setup xml file and hitting RUN.

However, the progressbar seems to be on running forever and I get the following exception: Failed to write to the XML file "Subject01_simbody.osim" (Please view the screenshot provided...).

A similar case is described here: https://simtk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=3791.
However that's been in 2012 and it doesn't apply exactly. I can't even do the scaling once...

What I supposed is that openSIM tries to save the xml-file to the Programs/OpenSIM/Models folder where it only has a restricted access but even if I copy the Model-Data to a different location the error occurs.

When I run the Scale tool via script (I tried both the provided scripts runScaling.py and runTutorialThree.py) I get the following traceback:
File "C:\Program Files\OpenSim 3.3\Scripts\GUI_Scripting\runScaling.py", line 128, in <module>
scaleTool.getModelScaler().processModel(myState,myModel,path2subject,subjectMass);
Error detected by Simbody method Xml::writeToFile(): Failed to write to the Xml file 'scaled_gait2392.osim' with error ' (line=1, col=1)'.
(Required condition 'saveOK' was not met.)

at org.opensim.modeling.opensimModelJNI.ModelScaler_processModel__SWIG_0(Native Method)
at org.opensim.modeling.ModelScaler.processModel(ModelScaler.java:73)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: SimTK Exception thrown at Xml.cpp:79:
Error detected by Simbody method Xml::writeToFile(): Failed to write to the Xml file 'scaled_gait2392.osim' with error ' (line=1, col=1)'.
(Required condition 'saveOK' was not met.)

Do you have any other suggestions? Or are there other models I could try to apply the scale tool with?

Any help and suggestions appreciated!
Thank you very much,
Stefanie
Attachments
osim_3.3_scale_error_Tutorial3_Scaling.png
Screenshot of the error

Ayman Habib

Re: Scale tool failing in OpenSIM 3.3

Post by Ayman Habib » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi Stefanie,

This sounds similar to the problem described here
https://simtk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=5961

Try installing OpenSim in a different location as suggested and let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Stefanie Gassel

Re: Scale tool failing in OpenSIM 3.3

Post by Stefanie Gassel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:05 am

Thank you very much! It works! :)