Static Optimization tool freezing entire program

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Tom Augenstein

Static Optimization tool freezing entire program

Post by Tom Augenstein » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 am

I am trying to run the static optimization tool through the GUI, but for some reason, every time I try to run the tool the entire application freezes immediately and I have to restart the Opensim application to regain control.

I am using the following model: Holzbaur, Murray, and Delp. "A Model of the Upper Extremity for Simulating Musculoskeletal Surgery and Analyzing Neuromuscular Control." Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2005. with one constraint disabled. I am able to run the inverse kinematics and inverse dynamics tools and see reasonable results. However, with the output .mot file from the inverse kinematics tool, the static optimization tool immediately crashes the application with or without an external load file specified.

I can run the static optimization tool with all of the models included in Opensim's original download (arm26, Gait 2392_Simbody, etc.) with their preloaded experimental marker and external load data, which suggests there is some fatal error in either my motion file (output of the inverse kinematics tool) or the model itself, which both seem unlikely.

Has anybody encountered a similar problem with the static optimization tool or know any potential causes?

Tags:

jimmy d

Re: Static Optimization tool freezing entire program

Post by jimmy d » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:53 am

When the GUI hangs like that, it is typical that the model is unsuitable to do dynamic analysis. The model you are using is for kinematics; there is a version of the model that has been used for static optimization.

Tom Augenstein

Post by Tom Augenstein » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 pm

That's good to know about the differences between kinematic and dynamic models, although I actually have been seeing the freezing with the dynamic version of the model, sorry if my citation was unclear. Is there another potential cause that comes to mind?

Tom Augenstein

Post by Tom Augenstein » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Nevermind, I was using the kinematic model. Thanks for the help