Effect of direction of motion on joint and body kinematics curves

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Sharmita Dey

Effect of direction of motion on joint and body kinematics curves

Post by Sharmita Dey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 am

I have biomechanical data from two trials (ascent and descent) recorded while subject was moving in opposite directions. Since, I am interested in the ankle angle and shank angular velocity of the two trials, I run the IK and Analysis tool and plotted the resultant curves (see attached). I am a bit confused if I need to flip the curves for on of the trials for a valid comparison between the two trials. If so, do I need to flip the curves for both joint angles and body kinematics? I compared my ankle angle curves (without flipping any) with (Riener, 2002) and found that they look similar. However, the shank angular velocity curves (for which I could not find any literature for comparison) for the two trials seems to follow different signs and this may be due to the effect of movement direction. I am not able to figure this out. Could you please advice me on this?

References:
Riener, Robert, Marco Rabuffetti, and Carlo Frigo. "Stair ascent and descent at different inclinations." Gait & posture 15.1 (2002): 32-44.
Attachments
Ascent - Xneg - ankle angle.png
Ascent - Xneg - ankle angle.png (12.66 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Descent - Xpos - ankle angle.png
Descent - Xpos - ankle angle.png (13.42 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Ascent - Xneg - shank ang vel.png
Ascent - Xneg - shank ang vel.png (14.02 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Descent - Xpos - shank ang vel.png
Descent - Xpos - shank ang vel.png (14.08 KiB) Viewed 216 times

Tags:

Thomas Uchida

Re: Effect of direction of motion on joint and body kinematics curves

Post by Thomas Uchida » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Sign conventions may differ between models. You can simply open the model in the GUI, load your IK results, and look at the motion of the joints and body segments to be sure you are correctly interpreting the directions.

Sharmita Dey

Re: Effect of direction of motion on joint and body kinematics curves

Post by Sharmita Dey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:55 am

Hello,

Thank you!