c3d without Force Plate

Provide a complete, user friendly and highly configurable tool to automatically process experimental motion data from different laboratories for their use into neuromusculoskeletal software.
Simone Tassani

c3d without Force Plate

Post by Simone Tassani » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 am

I would like to thank you for this great toolbox. I have a specific question.
I'm trying to use some c3d file that do not integrate Force Plate info. In some cases we have them in separate matlab files and we convert them into mot, in other cases we just don't have them and we only study the kinematics. I'm trying to use MOtoNMS on those files but I constantly get e message during the elaboration phase telling me that the FPdata.mat file is missing. I understood it was possible to use MOtoNMS even without FP info. Am I wrong?
I also tried to write in the setup file of my lab that we have number of force plates 0, or to actually remove the part related to the NumberOfForcePlatforms and ForcePlatformsList but I just get an error in the acquisition phase.
Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you in advance,
Simone.

Alice Mantoan

Re: c3d without Force Plate

Post by Alice Mantoan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Dear Simone,

current version of MOtoNMS (v2.2) does not support processing without force platforms (FP) data for dynamic tasks. Currently, only the Static Elaboration part works without FP data, as they are not necessary to accomplish the objectives of this block (please, refer to http://rehabenggroup.github.io/MOtoNMS/ ... ation.html ).

For the same reason, however, when using the Static Elaboration block, the Analysis Window methods implemented for the Data Processing part (http://rehabenggroup.github.io/MOtoNMS/ ... siswinddef) as well as the processing of EMG signals are not available.

As a workaround, you can try to process dynamic tasks with the Static Elaboration block, disabling joint centers computation: simply, you will obtain a .trc file of the whole trial.

We are aware that this may represent a limitation for MOtoNMS. Indeed, we have received several other requests like yours. That's why we plan to implement soon the possibility to process data from dynamic tasks (Data Processing part) when no FP are used during the data collection.
Hopefully, this new feature will come with the next release.

Best Regards,
Alice

Maria Fox

Re: c3d without Force Plate

Post by Maria Fox » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello,
Do you have any idea when a new version will appear? I am also having this issue--my lab collects motion capture data from a Qualisys system and analog data from multiple force plates using a VICON system, so my data are in separate files. I can produce a .c3d with motion data and create a .mot file for force data separately, but I am having a difficult time figuring out how to piece those data back together and create the files I need to for scaling, IK, and ID.

Thank you!
Maria