Error-over constrained

Provide a musculoskeletal model of the full thoracolumbar spine and rib cage for researchers to use in their investigations of spine and thorax kinematics and dynamics.
Obidah Alawneh

Error-over constrained

Post by Obidah Alawneh » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Hello,

I am trying to run static optimization on the model, I created a motion file.
When I tried to run static Optimization the I keep on getting an error that says ERROr-system over constrained (please see pic attached).

How can I fix the problem and make it run Static Optimization.

Ive also attached the motion file I created.
Attachments
Motion File.JPG
Motion File.JPG (315.28 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Error1.JPG
Error1.JPG (19.91 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Jacob J. Banks

Re: Error-over constrained

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:31 pm

I believe you are not setting up your Reserve Actuators properly (or possibly neglecting it altogether). This has been discussed in other posts on the general OpenSim forum (concerning other models).
viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=91&t=5476

To generate a proper actuators file, find the following sample code in your OpenSim directory:
...\Documents\OpenSim\4.2\Code\Matlab\createActuatorsFile.m

Once that file is made, you will also want to manually increase the 'Fy' for the pelvis (probably to 1000 N) in order for you model to stay in place against gravity (assuming you do not have any GRFs available) and then call it in your SOpt setup.

If this doesn't work, in your next response please attach (as a .zip) the *.mot, the exact model you have been using, your SOpt setup file, and your reserve actuator file (and anything else your calling).

Let us know how it goes.
Jake Banks

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:34 pm

Oh, and another thing.... if all your frames are the same just run SOpt for 1 frame.
This is not causing your 'over-constrained' problem, but it will save you A LOT of time!
Jake Banks

Obidah Alawneh

Post by Obidah Alawneh » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:40 am

Hello Jake,

I was trying to do what you told me to, but I've been getting errors (please see attached images)

When I put the modelpath as the the fullbody osim model it gives me an error about syntax, but when I tried to do it with the arm26 model it goes to line 50 and gives me an error there.

Im not sure how to fix both errors.

The instruction about creating an actuators file isn't that clear, do you have any suggestions on how to do it. As well as what to do to avoid having errors with the rest of the MATLAB code.

Thanks
Obidah Alawneh
Attachments
Motion File.JPG
Motion File.JPG (315.28 KiB) Viewed 524 times
MATLAB ERROR.JPG
MATLAB ERROR.JPG (123.41 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Matlab arm error.JPG
Matlab arm error.JPG (17.7 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 am

You just run the Matlab script (don't edit it at all, so you should go back to the original). There will be a GUI pop-up that asks/allows you to manually select the model you want to create an actuator file for.
Jake Banks

Obidah Alawneh

Post by Obidah Alawneh » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:08 am

I just tried doing that, I fixed the first error about the file problem, but I'm getting the line 50 error in the attached picture.
Attachments
matlab error 2.JPG
matlab error 2.JPG (18.29 KiB) Viewed 497 times

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:14 am

The code works (just ran it)... do you have OpenSim linked to Matlab?
https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... ith+Matlab
Jake Banks

Obidah Alawneh

Post by Obidah Alawneh » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am

My MATLAB wasn't linked, but I linked it just now and ran it again, I got an error that says to make sure bin in in the path, so I did that and now I got another error saying what the attached picture shows.

Obidah Alawneh
Attachments
matlab error 3.JPG
matlab error 3.JPG (26.83 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm not 100% what is going on, but I can assume that you still don't have your OpenSim Library synced with Matlab correctly. Make sure to follow all the steps and run their tests. Otherwise, this is more of a question for the OpenSim team.

I would suggest to double checking things and also making sure you not running as admin. If that doesn't fix it, go and search the general opensim forum for more help concerning this exact error.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
Jake Banks