Spine and rib cage model in OpenSim Public Forum

Provide a musculoskeletal model of the full thoracolumbar spine and rib cage for researchers to use in their investigations of spine and thorax kinematics and dynamics.
SimTK Admin
Site Admin

Spine and rib cage model in OpenSim Public Forum

Post by SimTK Admin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

Welcome to the Spine and rib cage model in OpenSim public forum. Feel free to browse or search the topics for helpful information, or post a topic of your own.

Annie Tang

Re: Spine and rib cage model in OpenSim Public Forum

Post by Annie Tang » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:42 am

Dear Team,
Thank you so much for the spine and rib cage model! As I am pretty new to the software, I may not be using it to the best of its capacity.
I have a case of a professional camera man who has to carry 15kg of video cam on one side of his shoulders for around 2 hours in a day and I would like to find out the load pressure such a lifting has on his lumbar spine, specifically L5-S1, is it possible that I evaluate using your model in OpenSim? How and where should I change the details to the model to generate a result that I need? Any kind ofadvice will be very much appreciated, thank you!

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:08 pm

In a word... yes.
The biggest 'issue' would be having some kinematics to track/use. If don't have that you could always just look at it statically.

As adding the video cam, all you would do is add/weld/attach a mass of known inertia properties to where you want on the model simulating the video cam. You could also just add an external force simulating that.

However, given you are new to OpenSim, you may not know what I am talking about. If you do not, I would suggest going through these tutorials:
https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... +Tutorials

After you go through the tutorials (or if you already have), if you still have questions please feel free to reach out with more specific questions. Best,
Jake Banks

Jacob J. Banks

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:10 pm

Another thing I neglected to state in my initial response... is that it is difficult/not well established how to model fatigue (if you had observable kinematic changes, that would be another thing... could also may enforce some muscle recruitment changes). So keep that mind.
Jake Banks