Neck movement missing DOF

Provide a musculoskeletal model of the full thoracolumbar spine and rib cage for researchers to use in their investigations of spine and thorax kinematics and dynamics.
Obidah Alawneh

Neck movement missing DOF

Post by Obidah Alawneh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello,

I noticed that in the model the head cant move independently, it moves the entire head with the neck region (c1 to c7), I was wondering if there will be an updated model than includes that missing DOF or not.

Also if I add a joint that would allow such DOF would that affect the validation of the model or is it as simple as adding a joint in the required area and make it work.

Thanks,
Obidah Alawneh

Jacob J. Banks

Re: Neck movement missing DOF

Post by Jacob J. Banks » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:48 pm

We, at present, have no plans to add those joints (plural!).
I would not suspect that adding those joints (plural!) would greatly impact the thoracolumbar spine model validation. However, it would depend on the number of muscles that span the c1-c7 joints and also <c7 levels. But I would claim nothing in terms of c1-c7 model validation.
IF you add those joints (plural!), an initial and straightforward test would be just place the model in a position and compare the results across joints both with and without those joints (plural!) added. Again, this would only test the c7-L5 and not whether the c1-c7 JRA are validate.
Jake Banks

Obidah Alawneh

Re: Neck movement missing DOF

Post by Obidah Alawneh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:51 pm

Thank you for your reply! I will consider the addition of those joint (plural!) in the future!